mtbr member
    Apr 2010

V-Brakes Questions - Pulsation in rear brake

I'm pretty sure I need new Pads for both brakes, thinking about some salmon Kool-stops,
    was just riding today, and felt the back brake pulsating as I was coasting into the parking lot (fairly low speed). I'm sure whatever's happening is going on at higher speeds, but i just don't pay so much attention will bashing down the trail as i do in the lot maybe.
    - I'm hoping this is just the pads in their final death throws, but wanted to see if you guys thought it might be something more serious.
    (its a 2003 Fisher Tassajara with stock Promax V-brakes)
    --
    Andy

Gravity - it's not just a good idea, It's the Law!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Take a look at the rim very carefully. It could be worn, but the weld is still high.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It might be contaminated. Try cleaning the rim with rubbing alcohol. If you're tossing the pads anyway, doing both at the same time is good. Otherwise, take a look at the pad surfaces - if they look as glazed and skanky as V-brake pads on bikes that get ridden tend to, sand them down a little.

It can also be a hop in the wheel. Does it spin true? SSVT gives another good possibility.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

local trails rider
    "Pulsating" makes me think that it could be something with the rim, too. Rim not straight or something in the surface.

Better give the rim a good cleaning before you start using the new pads.

Koolstops are the best rim brake pads that I ever used. Cannot remember which model I had...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanx for the help guys! I spent the morning cleaning and investigating, and i'm pretty sure its not the rim wear (although it IS an 8 yr. old rim, probly 2000 miles on it or more) but more likely a combination of contamination (taken care of) and a wobble/hop in the wheel. i played a bit with the spokes, and taught myself that i dont know JACK about truing wheels, so maybe its off to the LSB....
    thanx again for the helpful suggestions!!
    --
    Andy

Gravity - it's not just a good idea, It's the Law!