mtbr member
    Jan 2004

V-brakes: QBP Travel Agent worth it?

My rear brakes are mushy. I change cables and housing often and clean every week. Even with a new noodle, my braking still doesnt feel as tight as others. Aside from switching to disc (will do next year on new bike), I noticed the Travel Agent for fixing the problem with rear brake noodles. This is where the problem is on my bike.

Question: Will the travel agent GREATLY improve braking performance?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I use mine in a different spot.....

I bought two units so I could use my brop bars with the v-brakes. Didn't like the drops, but still had the Agents. So I tried them in place of the noodles. Didn't help at all. I thought about it, and figured the large bend in the cable ,from the levers to the frame or fork, might suffer from compression at high cable tensions. Since the noodle is solid, it most likely won't compress. So I put them in place of the large bend in the cable. It worked real well for me. Things like the hardness of the pads, or compresibility, cable routing, rim deflection, leverage ratio, cable quality all affect cable feel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

-> SickLines.com <-
    Make sure you have enough slack for your rear housing. I have seen many bikes that have the last piece of their rear housing (one from the seat to the noodle) way too short. Add a little bit extra and see if that helps you out.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by DCepp
    My rear brakes are mushy. I change cables and housing often and clean every week. Even with a new noodle, my braking still doesnt feel as tight as others. Aside from switching to disc (will do next year on new bike), I noticed the Travel Agent for fixing the problem with rear brake noodles. This is where the problem is on my bike.

Question: Will the travel agent GREATLY improve braking performance?
    squeeze your rear brake and look at your chainstays. if they flex out alot, it could be frame flex. a brake booster helps there. or going to a disc brake.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I agree w/ the brake booster suggestion. I put one on my rear brake and noticed a nice power increase. Feels a little crisper, too. That's w/ the understanding that your housing/ cables/pads are set up properly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig T
    I agree w/ the brake booster suggestion. I put one on my rear brake and noticed a nice power increase. Feels a little crisper, too. That's w/ the understanding that your housing/ cables/pads are set up properly.
    To reply to all: I have little to no flex in the seatstays. I have adjusted my SD7s on the brake posts so that the springs get the maximum tension so that they "snap back". There is a <90 degree bend in my noodle to be positioned properly so my shoe does not hit the housing when pedaling. I feel that the Travel Agent may be the way to go. As far as the Trave lAgent goes, there are 2 positions. Any advice/experience on which one works better for my VBRAKES and LEVERS.