Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wink v-brakes are fine.

Notice how the majority of posts here are for riders having problems with their hydraulic disc brakes? Only two applications where disc brakes make ANY sense are on downhill rigs and wet weather condtions. If you ride XC and majority of your riding is done in dry weather stick with the V's.... hydraulics are nothing but a pain in arss. If you like to dump more money, ad weight, and spend more time wrenching on your bike....then disc brakes are perfect for ya....have fun!

Axe
    Custom User Title

Flamebait?

Quote Originally Posted by mtcali
    Notice how the majority of posts here are for riders having problems with their hydraulic disc brakes? Only two applications where disc brakes make ANY sense are on downhill rigs and wet weather condtions. If you ride XC and majority of your riding is done in dry weather stick with the V's.... hydraulics are nothing but a pain in arss. If you like to dump more money, ad weight, and spend more time wrenching on your bike....then disc brakes are perfect for ya....have fun!
    Is not this a flamebait?

BTW - the other good thing with a disk is less wear and tear on the rim, and, in general, stronger rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

still use 'em

Still cant beat the v-brakes majority of the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe
    Is not this a flamebait?

BTW - the other good thing with a disk is less wear and tear on the rim, and, in general, stronger rims.
    Wear and tear on the rim?? I have about 2 years - 3000+ miles on a set of Rolf Propels and Avids.......the rims are perfect true (with regular racing and XC single track) Have you experienced wear and tear with other rims/brakes?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Have you experienced wear and tear with other rims/brakes?
    I wore out two sets of rims on the training bike that I use for quite some muddy riding. Yes, this is part of the "not good in wet weather". Just a little different prospective.

Many folks around here mentioned that 517 rims (non ceramic) were wearing out and bursting.

Do you frequently brake on a downhill?

-> SickLines.com <-
    Wear and tear on the rim?? I have about 2 years - 3000+ miles on a set of Rolf Propels and Avids.......the rims are perfect true (with regular racing and XC single track) Have you experienced wear and tear with other rims/brakes?
    heh funny thing is ... So are mine. But i guess we're different since we have ceramic rims supposedly... no chips either on my wheelset from 2000...

meatier showers

Yup. V-brakes are fine

Notice how the majority of posts here are for riders having problems with their [size=4]hydraulic[/size] disc brakes? Only two applications where disc brakes make ANY sense are on downhill rigs and wet weather condtions. If you ride XC and majority of your riding is done in dry weather stick with the V's.... [size=4]hydraulics[/size] are nothing but a pain in arss. If you like to dump more money, ad weight, and spend more time wrenching on your bike....then disc brakes are perfect for ya....have fun!
    You forgot to slam us mech disc users. Oh, and you also forgot to mention that rim brakes are mech disc brakes.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    You forgot to slam us mech disc users. Oh, and you also forgot to mention that rim brakes are mech disc brakes.

--Sparty
    No Sparty...... I was not refering to mechanical disc brakes, that is why I specified "HYDRAULIC" disc brakes. I was refering to the number of posts by riders having problems with HYDRAULIC dics brakes and to inform them that the old fashioned, retro rim brakes are equal if not BETTER for certain applications. And, not sure how "rim brakes are mech disc brakes" ?? I dont have a stainless steel disc mounted to my rim?? Interesting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd have to say that statement is your personal opinion. Curious if you have ever spent any extended time using disc brakes? Well I plenty of time succesfully running V brakes. I tortured myself trying to decide if I wanted to switch to disc brakes - I finally made the switch to Avid mechanical's and will probably never look back. I ride w/ plenty of hydro users that have little if any problems .Reason being there are posted hydro problems is this is a help board w/ many users... set-up is key to any brakes performance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Super secret tip

I wore out two sets of rims on the training bike that I use for quite some muddy riding. Yes, this is part of the "not good in wet weather". Just a little different prospective.

Many folks around here mentioned that 517 rims (non ceramic) were wearing out and bursting.

Do you frequently brake on a downhill?
    For longer rim life, try to brake on inclines only.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoiler
    For longer rim life, try to brake on inclines only.
    What does that supposed to mean? Yes, I do break on incline and coming into a corner.

Do you ride so slowly that you do not have to brake before turning?

Are you talking to me?

V's are fine for who?

Personally, I am a clydesdale who has worn through three rear rims with canti's/ v's. That was before going with Hayes Mag's. That was 4 years ago now, and I have only had to replace pads. I will never go back.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I'd have to say that statement is your personal opinion. Curious if you have ever spent any extended time using disc brakes? Well I plenty of time succesfully running V brakes. I tortured myself trying to decide if I wanted to switch to disc brakes - I finally made the switch to Avid mechanical's and will probably never look back. I ride w/ plenty of hydro users that have little if any problems .Reason being there are posted hydro problems is this is a help board w/ many users... set-up is key to any brakes performance.
    Hey Keen,

Yes, had some time on disc brakes, Magura Martras, Louises and most recently Formula B4's. Still prefer my old Avid Mags....actually just bought set of Ultimates they are doing great! No bleeding, no rubbing, no extra weight, money, hassle etc, etc, etc......

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    wow. what great bait. in fact you're the master baiter. (yeah, that was lame, and old. so sue me.)

whatever. three bikes with avid mech (yeah, not hydro) discs front and rear. i spend way less time taking care of said discs than i ever did messing around with my v and canti brakes. and i don't go through any more pads (based on $$$ spent) than i didi before. and i don't worry about making sure my rims are absolutely true, or blowing a rim sidewall eventually. and i can stop as well in the wet as a can in the dry, without needing special pads, or ceramic rims. and i stop way faster than i ever did with v and canti brakes, and like the lever feel and modulation waaaaay better.

that enough for ya? it's personal preferance, flamer. you ride what you like, i'll ride what i like, and everyone else can ride what they like. sound like a good deal? i have way more fun riding with people no matter what brakes they have, rather than riding with them and worrying over what brakes they have, or dissing on them for whatever those brakes may be.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It was a joke.

What does that supposed to mean? Yes, I do break on incline and coming into a corner.

Do you ride so slowly that you do not have to brake before turning?
    Actually, I'm working on my bike handling skills so I don't have to brake quite so often or early. I'm coming from a road biking background, where you have a consistent surface, It's tough to learn to judge how well your tires will grip the corners on fatter tires and loose surfaces. On 23mm road tires, once you slid a rear wheel, it's tough to save it. Once you slide a front tire, it's near impossible.

the catalan connection

Iīm about to get an XTR V set instead of discs

(Dual control included), I know I can get decent discs for a similar price (including hubs) but I still love the simplicity of Vīs. Perfect for agressive XC stuff and lots of power.
    Is fun to hear how everybody seems to be happy to be able to ride with waving rims and in wet conditions, precisely a couple of things I try to avoid !
    Iīm not a pro, so I donīt have to ride when itīs raining or in nasty terrain conditions if I donīt want to.Conditions,BTW , that Iīm sure a good pair of Vīs could handle well enough anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Notice how the majority of posts here are for riders having problems with their hydraulic disc brakes?

Because a rider is new to setting up discs does not mean it is a problem, it is just something new.

Only two applications where disc brakes make ANY sense are on downhill rigs and wet weather condtions.

Completely false and just your opinion... disc brakes make sense in any condition.

If you ride XC and majority of your riding is done in dry weather stick with the V's.... hydraulics are nothing but a pain in arss.

False again.... I have not had any problems with any disc brake I have owned

If you like to dump more money, ad weight, and spend more time wrenching on your bike....then disc brakes are perfect for ya....have fun!

Where do you come up with this stuff? More money? How so? If you add up pad replacement versus rim and pad replacement on V brakes you'd be on the losing end. Add weight? No not true, ask Mike T about weights.... More time wrenching? For what? Pad replacement? Takes me all of 1 minute on my Gustav's. Have fun? I do....

I realize everyone has an opinion, but yours seems quite biased. Personally I do not see anything wrong with V brakes, prefer Magura rim brakes but to each his own. But you posted an opinion not facts, time to go back to school now.
    Pat T.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat T.Ū
    Notice how the majority of posts here are for riders having problems with their hydraulic disc brakes?

Because a rider is new to setting up discs does not mean it is a problem, it is just something new.
    I don't think discs are that much harder to setup proplery than v-brakes, however its apparent that people do not know how to wrench on their disc brakes. This leads me to think that a good amount of people can't set up v-brakes either but aren't asking questions how to set them up properly because if a v-brake is working "ok" they are less likely to mess with it and make it right. Whereas if a disc brake isn't working right, its horrible. I have both disc's and v-brakes on an assortment of bikes and have tried out numerous brakesets.

Also those gustav's are well over 1000g,. Theres only a few disc brakes that rival v-brakes in weight, B4sl, and marta sl's to name two. A set of price compared v-brakes are signifigantly lighter (440g-500g) for a complete front and rear set with levers. Thats a over a pound saved over your gustav's... not to mention wheel weights..

Make up your mind about discs brakes as you will as they definitly have their applicaitons but i don't think they're as superior as some are leading you to believe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have been using disc brakes for 2 years now, both avid mechs and hayes hydros. Disc brakes in general are the best thing to come to mountain biking in quite some time. The power and modulation with disc brakes is far superior to any rim brake on the market. As for weight, do you really think that one pound more on your bike is really going to make or break you? I have not had one ounce of trouble with either the avid mechs, or those dastardly, trouble making hydros. You ride what you like, and I;ll ride what I like. just my 2 cents.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by bander119
    I have been using disc brakes for 2 years now, both avid mechs and hayes hydros. Disc brakes in general are the best thing to come to mountain biking in quite some time. The power and modulation with disc brakes is far superior to any rim brake on the market. As for weight, do you really think that one pound more on your bike is really going to make or break you? I have not had one ounce of trouble with either the avid mechs, or those dastardly, trouble making hydros. You ride what you like, and I;ll ride what I like. just my 2 cents.
    wasn't it you that was asking about a cracked hayes line a few weeks ago? I thought it was you but anyway , a pound on a bike is noticable. Thinking like that can make your bike one heavy lug..

rr
    I don't do PC
    Retro grouch, get w/ the times. I've been running discs for 4 years and ran V brakes for years before that and old style cantis before that. Discs are superior-period. The only time V brakes approach the power and modulation of discs is when the cables and pads are new. When they break in, you lose a lot of modulation and all you can do is either lightly brake or lock up the wheels-there's no in between. Once you learn how to ride discs, you will realize that there is a lot of "in between" your missing out on. I rode/raced an old Yeti hardtail last summer w/ XTR V's because my FS w/ discs was down. Guess what the most noticable diff. was, not the lack of suspension, but the lack of brakes. When I would grab the levers hard on fast descents into tight turns, I would over-shot the turns because I was used to braking later. Grabbing the lever lightly or a bit harder made no diff. in braking power-NO MODULATION. Don't tell me they are just as good, and get over the whole lighter thing-unless your racing the World Cup or something.

mtbr member

but disc brakes are gggrreeeaattttttt!

Not going to waste my time typing a discussion on this beat to death topic.
    You keep you V's and I'll definately keem my disc.

KMan
    (a happy hydrolic disc user)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    I don't think discs are that much harder to setup proplery than v-brakes, however its apparent that people do not know how to wrench on their disc brakes. This leads me to think that a good amount of people can't set up v-brakes either but aren't asking questions how to set them up properly because if a v-brake is working "ok" they are less likely to mess with it and make it right. Whereas if a disc brake isn't working right, its horrible. I have both disc's and v-brakes on an assortment of bikes and have tried out numerous brakesets.

Also those gustav's are well over 1000g,. Theres only a few disc brakes that rival v-brakes in weight, B4sl, and marta sl's to name two. A set of price compared v-brakes are signifigantly lighter (440g-500g) for a complete front and rear set with levers. Thats a over a pound saved over your gustav's... not to mention wheel weights..

Make up your mind about discs brakes as you will as they definitly have their applicaitons but i don't think they're as superior as some are leading you to believe.
    Uhm.... ok? I guess there is a reason I helped with the FAQ at the top of the page, did you even read my post before you started typing? I never once compared my Gustav's to V brakes... that would be stupid. I did however compare V brakes to the Marta's and B4's... which you repeated for me. I have made up my mind about disc brakes and the pluses far outweigh the minus's.... especially if you get over 200lbs such as myself.
    Pat T.

U V
    aka: UltraViolet
    [mildely off topic]
    i've just changed back to cantilevers on the front for my road bike in the last few days, after i sore a 1993 Kona LavaDome it was in for a service and the Deore canti's worked sooooo well i thought, "what the hell"

i use V's by the way have done for years, mainly because i ride for pleasure, and that for me means not in the rain/wet. its horses for courses realy

mtbr member
    And, not sure how "rim brakes are mech disc brakes" ?? I dont have a stainless steel disc mounted to my rim?? Interesting.

Wow...

What is a disc brake? A set of calipers mounted to the fork or rear stays that clamps on the rotor to provide braking.

rim brakes... A set of calipers (v or canti) mounted to the fork or rear stays that clamps on the rotor (rim braking surface) to provide braking.

Believe it or not, all a rim brake is is a disc brake with a very large rotor.
    ...he said "young man pay heed, you listen well to what i say, now there comes a time for a man to walk away"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast