dedicated beater
    May 2009

V-Brakes don't snap back after I release the brake handle

So, my V-Brakes don't snap back after I release the brake handle. Just just kinda slowly spread back apart. Is this normal or is something perhaps too tight or something?

Not enough information. Are the calipers clean and well lubed? Is your housing/cable in good condition? Do your levers have a return spring?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Mountain Man Dan
    Lubricate the posts the brake system mounts onto the fork, also lube the spring. Happened to one of my bikes, I used regular grease. then put back on. i also tightened it too much causing it not to snap back, so back it off a bit.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    99% of the time in my experience it is crud in the cables... the other precent of the time it is bad springs or something going wrong in the pivots...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just had this happen to a neighbor on his brakes. Make sure the pads are hitting the rim and when you release make sure they are not so close to rubber that they are getting hung up. My neighbor crashed and moved the pads which caused his issue. We just loosened the pads, moved to proper place and retightened. Problem fixed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am going to second DriveBy. I am still running V-Brakes on one of my bikes and 99% of the time when the levers don't return it is due to the cable/housing. There is either crud in the housing which happens a lot when it gets wet or there is a kink in the cable and or housing which also just happens a lot. Check your cable and housing! Good Luck.

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Hey, thanks a bunch guys. I'll look at it a bit more.