Thread: V-Brakes

mtbr member

V-Brakes

so i was looking to upgrade my my v-brakes and was woundering wat i should upgrade to...someone told me the Avid SD 7 V brakes. wat do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, I just tried to upgrade from cantilevers to V-brakes but the ones I bought won't fit my old bike.

They are Cane Creek Direct Curve 3 and they are now on craigslist. Never even installed.

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/bik/811605857.html

Devolution is real!
    Pretty much all V brake arms work the same. You will not gain any power by buying more expensive arms. I would stick with what you have unless they are really worn out or broken.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota200x
    Pretty much all V brake arms work the same. You will not gain any power by buying more expensive arms. I would stick with what you have unless they are really worn out or broken.
    This is probably true. For some reason I was thinking you were upgrading to v-brakes from something else. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    Well, I just tried to upgrade from cantilevers to V-brakes but the ones I bought won't fit my old bike.

They are Cane Creek Direct Curve 3 and they are now on craigslist. Never even installed.

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/bik/811605857.html
    Good info on your ad but a bit too late for me... lol I just ordered some Shimano's from ebay and I am trying to fit them on a older cannondale. Hope they Fit ! If they do I may buy yours and resell the Shimanos. Do you mind shipping?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 94M400
    Good info on your ad but a bit too late for me... lol I just ordered some Shimano's from ebay and I am trying to fit them on a older cannondale. Hope they Fit ! If they do I may buy yours and resell the Shimanos. Do you mind shipping?
    Not at all. However, the Avid levers aren't for sale any more. I stopped by a shop this afternoon and we fiddled with my bike and a few brakes. I ended up buying some Deore LX V-brakes with the parallelogram linkage. I mounted them up tonight with the Avid levers and they work a treat with my narrow rims. I can finally stop well and have easy-to-adjust brakes! I was getting really tired of struggling to make the Dia-Compe 986 cantis work on the narrow rims.

If you are having fitment issues, try the parallalogram Shimanos (LX, XT). They work really well over a long travel range.

If you still want the Cane Creeks...I'll take $50 for both pairs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Good job! Just in time

My upgrade to V-brakes came none too soon. Last night on my way home I was turning left at an intersection (yes, signaling my turn) and a car on the cross street to my left also decided to turn left. So we were on a rapid collision course. I grabbed all the brake I could. The rear locked, of course, but the front held even though I was in a lean to begin with. Without my new brakes, I probably would have a broken leg or worse. The car also stopped and I glared at the driver as I resumed pedaling and completed my turn in front of him. He looked like a puppy that had missed the paper. LOL I can laugh now but it was a hell of a pucker at the time.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Upgrading the V brake calipers can have a positive effect on the braking, especially if the existing equipment is lower end. The reasons for this are the ways better arms can apply the pads to the braking surface as well as stiffer designs so more braking power goes to the rims. But, in general I agree that all linear pull brakes work the same pretty much and therefore any correctly setup V brake system will have close to the best v brake performance.

mtbr member
    better V-brakes seem to hold their spring tension better also, at least in the 3 pairs ive had.
    the crazy linkage shimano ones are really heavy too if you like that sort of thing.like twice as heavy.

i prefer either the regular shimano or the Avid ones, i'd like to try some of the really light tektro ones,maybe ill get some this winter,we'll see.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Glad you survived your Ex-Lax moment.
    They do tend to turn right in front of you!