mtbr member
    Sep 2004

V brake versus Disk Brake

I'm trying to decide whether to go with mechanical disk or v brakes on an Ellsworth Truth. I do a fair amount of XC racing and epic all-day riding. seems like a good set of V brakes offers good performance and is lighter. I've heard avid mechanicals are relatively simple and i like the idea of being able to stop better in rain and mud. are the v brakes worth the weight savings and are the mechanical disks truly better and simple to adjust?

galferusa
    Aug 2004

brake choice

Quote Originally Posted by nesnetrom
    I'm trying to decide whether to go with mechanical disk or v brakes on an Ellsworth Truth. I do a fair amount of XC racing and epic all-day riding. seems like a good set of V brakes offers good performance and is lighter. I've heard avid mechanicals are relatively simple and i like the idea of being able to stop better in rain and mud. are the v brakes worth the weight savings and are the mechanical disks truly better and simple to adjust?
    You're on a full suspension bike! If weight meant that much, we would all still be on hardtails with rigid forks and dia comp 987 cantilevers. Buy a set of hydraulic disks. Even a set of Shimano deore (which are shockingly good brakes) hydraulic disks. Hydraulic disks are the epitome of simple. Bleed them once a year. No adjustment except when the pads are worn out. If you buy v-brakes or mechnicals now you will end up replacing them in a year when you have a pimp frame and the same level of brake technology as is on a $339 entry level hardtail.

Dr. Frost

avid mechs are simple to set up

I was a v brake fan but the simplicity of the avid mechs really has won me over. Plus they work like really good brakes. No dragging or rubbing and they're cheap too!

OldTeen
    Jun 2004
    The best V-brakes work great under dry conditions, but wet & mud hurt their performance. V-brakes also wear your rims if your ride alot under muddy conditions (ceramic rims excepted). I prefer mechanical discs with the simplicity & familiarity of cable levers. All the power I need under all conditions (i.e. dry, wet, or mud I get the power to lock either wheel at speed- even on pavement). Hydraulics work great when set-up to full potential, but I've seen a few probs with hydraulics which keep me from trusting them. From leaks to poor braking if not bled properly (i.e. air bubbles in the line), I'm sticking with mech discs for now.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Avid mechs or Juicys

I got to encourage disc brakes for your Truth, just like i have on mine. Truly makes a world of difference performance wise, if you do any climbing and resulting downhills and single tracks.

Gone are the dust and dirt scrapes between your rim and brake pads, gone are the fades after long descents. With discs you get much more power, no fade, better control and therefore you'll be able to carry more speed with confidence.

I put Avid mechs on my Truth to get used to the disc thing. These are great brakes because they're so easy to adjust, and for those new to discs no hydraulics. However, the lever feel will never be as snappy and even as hydraulics. Enter Juicys- now you have the power of a open hydraulic system, but the ease of adjustability which is the hallmark of Avid brakes. Installation, even bleeding is easy to do.

Trust me, you'll be a very happy rider with discs!
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks to everyone for the advise. Seems like disk is the way to go, probably mechanical to start and later upgrade to hydraulic. can always shave some pounds off my belly to make up for the weight gain. I appreciate the help!

mtbr remember
    I like the avid mechs, but I would say just get some hydros. They aren't really that complicated. You will be able to find a set of hayes g2 mag or hfx9 for around $220, about the same as avid mechs after you buy levers for them. The hayes are very reliable and excellent for the beginner getting into hydro. If they are bled properly, they will be relatively maintenance free for a long time. They have excellent feel and good power.
    If you don't already, you will need a disc wheelset w/ the IS 6 bolt mounts, you should be able to pick up a decent set for around $150.
    Schralp it Heavy.