mtbr member

V-Brake routing. Is there a better way?

Hello All,
    I built up a bike yesterday (Yeti FRO) with V's. The problem is the cable guides are on the right side of the top tube so I have this big tight S turn behind the seat tube to the noodle. An alternative would have been to run full housing at the bottom of the top tube (strapped to the hydro hose guides) which I may still do if I don't get good braking with this setup.
    Does anyone have any ideas on a different cable routing method or noodle system to make the bend less extreme (I know there are V's out there where you can switch noodle sides but I want to keep the Shimano V's since this is a budget build)?
    Thanks...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you can run full housing, do that. It's better for mountain biking and will align things much better.

T_N
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't have very good depth perception with that picture, would it be possible to run the cable on the other side of the seat tube.

ups and downs
    It looks like Yeti was thinking disc and included the V-brake bosses as an afterthought, If you could pickup some Avid Ultimates they do have that reversible noodle that would work.

mtbr member
    TN,
    The routing will be funkier over the top tube and around the seatpost. There are hydro guides beneath the top tube so I may end up running full housing for the rear V and route it that way for a cleaner look. In the mean time, the rear V is pretty powerful even with the nasty S bend (ceramic helps).
    See pic below:

Rockyuphill- I think I'll stick with the Shimano's for now. They are pretty powerful even with the bend although I may have to clean or replace the cables/housing frequently to keep minimize drag through that curve... If I do replace the brakes, I may go hydro...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Avid Ultimate V's have the oppertunity to switch the thing the noodle goes through from left to right.

That would be the only real solution for your problem I guess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Could you just run full housing on the left side of the top tube and zip tie the housing down? Basically, ignoring the current cable guides.

mtbr member
    i'm going to be doing a frame swap that invovlve a Yeti ARC...i was wondering how the heck I was going to cleanly route that rear brake. Seeing those pictures, I'm tempted to call the customer and ask if he would open to running full brake housing.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    ... doing a frame swap that involve a Yeti ARC ... i was wondering how the heck I was going to cleanly route that rear brake ... seeing those pictures ...
    My 05 yeti ARC has all the cable guides on the other side of the frame ... and a disc brake hose guide on the bottom of the top tube.

20070901 yeti arc 69er HTR top tube MTBR FORUM.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What if you run the front brakes in the rear and the rear brakes in the front? That should get the noodle on the other side...but then your front setup would be flipped, which probably isn't that big of an issue since it's just a solid cable...

Jared

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by averen
    What if you run the front brakes in the rear and the rear brakes in the front? That should get the noodle on the other side...but then your front setup would be flipped, which probably isn't that big of an issue since it's just a solid cable...

Jared
    Will not work. There is no difference between front and rear V brakes. The noodle is on opposite sides F & R because the brake bosses face in opposite directions.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Will not work. There is no difference between front and rear V brakes. The noodle is on opposite sides F & R because the brake bosses face in opposite directions.
    Ya, I looked at my bike just after I posted that and realized that was the case mia culpa.

For some reason I was thinking the cables both came out the same side.

Jared

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You could always run a full-length rear brake cable and route it on the other side, held down with a zip-tie.