Thread: V-Brake Problem

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

V-Brake Problem

Hello Everyone,
    I tried to search to find similar problems but could not find anything so here it goes.

I have an older Cannondale F700 mtn bike with Tektro V-Brakes. I decided to change the brake pads after too many years and have run into a problem. I picked up a set of Aztec v-brake replacements from performance bikes and they are not working properly. I bolted them on and lined them all up, and the pads are too far from the face of the rim, even after adjusting the brake cable. The tops of the V-Brakes come too close together in order for the brake pads to make sufficient contact with the rim.

Now I will have to say that they are not the stock wheels that I have on the bike, but are a road set that I have built up on specialized rims. They are a bit narrower then the mtn bike wheels that I also use. Even with that said, the stock tektro pads had more distance between the mounting point, and the face of the pad. The Aztec pads are 'shimano compatible' so maybe the V-Brakes that are on my bike need a specific pad to work properly?

Here is a couple pictures to help show the problem...

From random

From random

So my question is, do I need pads with longer posts to space them in more? Do I need new V-Brakes that will bolt pads on closer to the rim? Do I need to throw my bike out? Haha just kidding...

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Former Bike Wrench
    Get the threaded version of the Eagle Claw 2 pads, but use the hardware from the V-brake pads. The pads are fatter plus they have a long threaded portion.

Suffers From Binge Biking
    From the pictures, it looks like all your spacers are on the outside of the arms. Move them to the inside and this should fix your problem.
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by marsh rider
    From the pictures, it looks like all your spacers are on the outside of the arms.

The pads came with a thicker and thinner spacer with convex washers for adjustability. I made sure to put the thicker ones on the inside, closer to the pad face.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's hard to tell from your pictures, but do you have a conical washer on each side of the brake arm, or are both of them on the outside?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    There is one conical washer on each side and one concave spacer on each side with the thicker one on the inside. I have some threaded Koolstop eagle claws on the way and I will let you know if it fixes the problem!!