Thread: V-brake problem

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

V-brake problem

First off I will state that I have a trek 4500 that I purchased about a month or 2 ago. Usually when I go biking I use a roof rack that requires me to take off the front wheel. Every time I put my wheel back on and connect the brakes again, one of the pads rubs against the wheel. So I don't know if I am doing anything wrong, but its a pain to adjust my brakes every time. what is going wrong?
    thanks in advance!

viva la v-brakes!
    There are a lot of things that could be wrong, hard to tell from your description. Does the problem go away if you squeeze the brakes a few times? Did the spring pop off so one side is being pulled towards the rim and the other has nothing to pull on it? Perhaps some photos would help, or just stop by your LBS to ask.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    no the problem doesn't go away if I pull it a few times Ill try and post pics but for now Ill go check to see if a spring is missing or not working correctly. thanks
    Last edited by MSjump91; 06-10-2007 at 05:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    no I just checked, and everything is working fine. I wonder if the brake pads move when the wheel comes off and goes on. what should I do?

viva la v-brakes!
    Without more info I don't think anyone online can help you. Bring it back to the shop you bought it from. That's what they are there for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSjump91
    no I just checked, and everything is working fine. I wonder if the brake pads move when the wheel comes off and goes on. what should I do?
    coupla things to check when you're removing/installing the wheel. I'm assuming you are disconnecting the brake 'quick release'.

1. make sure to pull brake arms all the way wide when you install/take off.
    2. your tire may be hitting the brake pads and moving them a bit (shouldn't move 'em if they're tight tho) when taking the wheel on/off, this happens especially when you have give a good tug or shove to get the tire to clear the pads. I've had this problem on some wide tires, I have to deflate them to remove/install the tire.
    3. when reinstalling the wheel, make sure it centered and sitting firmly in the dropouts- if it's just a bit offcenter, this can cause the problems you're having. When I install the the ft. wheel, I pull the wheel up firmly into the dropouts, set the bike down flat, then push down on the handlebars to make sure the wheel is seated in the fork dropouts and then tighten the QR.

the park tool site goes through it well here http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=100
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    3. when reinstalling the wheel, make sure it centered and sitting firmly in the dropouts- if it's just a bit offcenter, this can cause the problems you're having. When I install the the ft. wheel, I pull the wheel up firmly into the dropouts, set the bike down flat, then push down on the handlebars to make sure the wheel is seated in the fork dropouts and then tighten the QR.
    Actually, that one makes a lot of sense. I usually put the wheel in the drop-out and then put my weight on the bars as I lean over them to tighten down the skewer. Putting weight on it makes sure it all lines up straight.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Make sure the brake cable goes all the way into the brake lever housing when you reconnect the brakes.. Sometimes mine comes out and gets stuck when I disconnect the brakes.