mtbr member

V-Brake pad wear

So it rained today during commute. Looks like the V-Brake pad 'bled' all over the rear rim. Instead of typical road grime- there appeared to be lots of gray gunk on the rear rim--(pads are grey also).

Is this a sign of cheap brake pads?. They are the stock pads that came with the AVID Single Digit 5's. The pads don't look worn out yet-I can still see the grooves in the pads. And I don't think I braked especially hard anywhere. If I had the Kool Stop pads that people rave about- would this occur?

Also, I typically wipe down the rims after a wet ride to get the other gunk and road grime off before the next ride. Is that recommended practice? TIA for any advice.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    More than likely that is not brake pad material but instead ground up fine aluminum powder from the rims. You are probably getting bits of dirt between the rim and the soft pad material. The dirt embeds itself into the the softer pad material and grinds away at the rims. Even if you don't get dirt in there you will still get that sludge.

I run Kool Stop salmon colored pads on my bikes and whenever I ride in the rain I get the same grey sludge coming off of my rims.