mtbr member
    Mar 2007

V-Brake pad Problem

I feel like a complete idot that I am having an issue with this but I just bought some Aztec 2 brake pads and tried to install them last night on my Trek 950. I unhooked the break line and put the pads on and was unable to hook the cable back up. I then tried putting the pads on with the cable connected. Am I doing this wrong? Any special tricks to installing V-brake pads. Also should I use all the washers and spacers includeded be used or do some get elimiated due to spacing?

thanks for any advice.

Former Bike Wrench
    First off, did you screw your barrel adjusters on your brake levers back in? Since you use these to compensate for wear, you'll need to start with them screwed in with fresh pads.

There are two sets of spacers, one set is thicker than the other. You need to use all the spacers, but you can select which set is on the inside of the caliper arm and which set is on the outside. It could also be that the Aztec pads are just simply wider than the pads you are replacing and you may need to adjust the cables accordingly.

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

You unhooked the brake cable.....

do you mean you simply opened the brakes like you were going to remove the wheel? That's not enough. What you need to do is loosen the cable from the brakes, i.e. loosen the pinch bolt that keeps the cable attached to the brake arm, and turn your barrel adjusters all the way in. Install the pads and then hook things back up and adjust. This is not uncommon as the thickness a brake pads vary quite a bit. Also double check that you are using the same configuration of spacers as on your original pads as mtb72 mentioned.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks guys for the tips, I will give this a try when I get home from work