mtbr member
    Jun 2006

V-brake installation problem

I'm having a problem with a set of v-brakes I just installed on my bike. The bolts which hold them on the brake bosses are bottoming on the caliper before bottoming on the boss. If the bosses were even 1mm longer, it wouldn't be an issue. So now all four brake arms have more friction than they should, which makes adjusting spring tension between pairs difficult.

So far the two solutions I've thought of are making 4 thing spacers out of old brake bosses to keep the bolt from hitting the brake, or to use lock tight and not tighten the bolts down much. I'm not a fan of the latter.

Any ideas?

Yo.
    is there a shoulder at the frame end of the canti boss that you can mill down to give a little more room on the back end?
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie
    is there a shoulder at the frame end of the canti boss that you can mill down to give a little more room on the back end?
    No, there isn't. The arms sit flush.

I think the problem might be the bolts I'm using. They're after market aluminum and and just standard allen bolts. The stock bolts which came with the brakes may have had shoulder on the underside of the head to space it away from the brake slightly.

Yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    No, there isn't. The arms sit flush.

I think the problem might be the bolts I'm using. They're after market aluminum and and just standard allen bolts. The stock bolts which came with the brakes may have had shoulder on the underside of the head to space it away from the brake slightly.
    That was gonna be my next suggestion. If the brake manufacturer is still in business, try and get some of the bolts that came with the brake arms. Otherwise, your LHS (local hardware store) or an online giant like McMaster might have the washers you need without having to sacrifice a canti stud.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.