Thread: v-brake to disk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

New question here. v-brake to disk

I have a Trek 2003 Fuel 100 full carbon. Has Sid World cup carbon shox, shimano st-m960 dual action shifters,avid ultimate v-brakes and race x lite 26" rims. Have sold rims,leverws and brakes and now buying parts to replace. I have got race x lite 26" disk rims, already bought new oem st-m966 dual action 1500mm with br-m966 side screws in from the side caliper for 160mm in back and the adaptor, what I'm trying to do now is find a new fronmt setup, I have found some st-m965 models but shimano says the handle is shaped different and you can tell by looking at them so I want to stay the same. The problem I'm having is should I get the calipers with the screws in from the side or get the post mount where the screws come in from the back and find an adaptor to connect them. Sorry for going on so long but disk and the different sizes are all new to me.

Thanks,
    Marc

mtbr member
    May 2009
    SID WC is post mount correct? why would you need an adapter unless you will be running a rotor bigger than 160mm?

A disadvantage of post mounts is that the bolt is threaded directly into the fork lowers. If the threading is stripped or if the bolt is stuck, then new fork lowers are required. Frame manufacturers have standardized the IS mount for the rear disc brake mount. In recent years post mount has gained ground and is becoming the most common. This is mostly due to decreased manufacturing and part cost for the brake calipers when using post mount. A limitation of the mount is that the location of the rotor disc is more tightly constrained: it is possible to encounter incompatible hub/fork combination, where the rotor is out of range. With an IS mount, the caliper can be moved closer to or further from the mount point using spacers; this can permit a wider range

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    ok kind of lost now. I'm trying to figure out the difference between post mount and the other. i see the same calipers on ebay being called two different things. I see one that has bolts that go directly into its side and it is threaded, the other has a flat on each end and bolts come in from the back not the side so which one is a post mount and which one is the other? My sid world cups have two tange off the back of the fork and the holes are looking directly at the wheel from the side, my back I had to buy a adapter that bolts to frame then the bolts go into the side of the caliper, I have been to that the one with the flats on the ends is the one should get for the front and if so what is the sizing betwwen my holes for which bracket to convert the fork over to use that style? Sorry about the confusion cause I'm just kinda lost!!!!

Marc