mtbr member

V-brake to BB7 - Brake Bosses

Ok...so I am an older dude and have had my share of smashing into things on black diamonds not intended to be ridden on two wheels. One of my favorite methods of stopping is spiking a chain ring into a fallen tree...of course the bike stops but I usually don't...

Overall...my feelings on brakes have alway been pretty simple...lock up the rear wheel and hang your behind as far back as you can get it. Need less braking? Move forward on the bike...need more brakes? Well then go back. You can also steer this way.

I bought a Scale 70...liked the frame, love the geometry but did not want to pay up for the carbon and I thought I'd just upgrade as I go along. The bike came with V-brakes which is what us Killer V guys grew up with...My brother rides a full suspension with disc and tells me discs are a "must have". What do I know? I just pedal the thing...So I purchased a set of Avid BB7 mechanical disc...

Here is my problem...no don't laugh!

The Scale 70 has factory braized V-brake bosses...you know the bungs that hold the brake arms on the trail of the frame. OK...so I install the discs and now I have these hunks of metal screaming "cut me off"...to me it looks rigged. I am so bothered by this I am tempted to go back to the V-brakes and use Avid's single digit set up.

Any suggestions beside therapy? I have looked at newer bikes and it seems if you have a factory disc bike there are no bosses for V-brakes. It looks clean...my set up clearly looks like a v-brake bike with disc brakes. Can anyone feel my pain?

Weekend Warrior
    Hey I got them too on my 08 Rockhopper. I went from V's to disk and they look like $hit. I'm thinking in a few years when I repaint it i'll cut them of and smooth them out.

Maybe we can install something really cool in there like a booze bottle holder or a beer opener. Maybe a bridge and tell people that's the cool new thing and it makes the bike 300% stiffer

Don't sweat it, i try not to look at it. But you are right they are a horrible piece just sitting there with no use. I wonder how much weight that is?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    Hey I got them too on my 08 Rockhopper. I went from V's to disk and they look like $hit. I'm thinking in a few years when I repaint it i'll cut them of and smooth them out.

Maybe we can install something really cool in there like a booze bottle holder or a beer opener. Maybe a bridge and tell people that's the cool new thing and it makes the bike 300% stiffer

Don't sweat it, i try not to look at it. But you are right they are a horrible piece just sitting there with no use. I wonder how much weight that is?
    Oh thank God I am not alone! My wife has the Rock Hopper...she loves it! You know Specialized makes a v-brake Stump Jumper -- $1400...maybe V-brakes are not so bad. They worked fine for me...Anyone interested in a new set of Avid BB7's?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Many of them unscrew from forks and frames. Does yours have flats on it for a wrench? Nothing beats a disc in the mud.

local trails rider
    My Banshee Scirocco has disk and V attachents. I think the empty disc thing looks better than the empty V bosses...

I can live with V's when conditions are relatively dry and clean.

Oh, my feelings on brakes are pretty simple...use the front whenever feasible and hang your behind as far back as needed. Need less braking? Relax the fingers.

Weekend Warrior
    V brakes are still preferred by many racers due to weight. Power is still there if you have a good setup. What kicked my a$$ was the mud and high water in Florida during the summer.

mtbr member

Unscrew the Bosses

Yeah, most bosses can be taken off with an open end wrench. They will have flat areas on the sides for this. They will leave large female ports where they screw in and I went to Lowes and found black plastic plugs that perfectly fit into the female ports that are fairly flush with the fork and the frame on my rear triangle. No one would ever know you had V brakes unless they were looking hard at your bike.

Happy Trails

Disc Front / V Rear

Today in a forum question on V versus Mechanical I asked the same question, about the brazed on V-brake threaded receivers, if I switch to BB7 mechanical discs. I think I have come up with a creative solution ... from the very helpful FAQ section in disc brakes in MTBR. I am going to go with a BB7 disc in the front, but keep the V-brake on the rear. Up to 70 percent of the stopping force rides up to the front wheel, so this makes sense. It could make a problem with inconsistent "feel" between front and rear, but I can always switch back or add the rear BB7 later.

Both brakes will both run with the same levers - Check
    No painted "nipples" protruding on my frame - Check
    Less obtrusive (aesthetically) bosses on my Fox Float fork look "stock" - Check
    Cheap way to try 'em out - Check

I'll post later how it worked.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally Scale
    Ok...so I am an older dude and have had my share of smashing into things on black diamonds not intended to be ridden on two wheels. One of my favorite methods of stopping is spiking a chain ring into a fallen tree...of course the bike stops but I usually don't...

Overall...my feelings on brakes have alway been pretty simple...lock up the rear wheel and hang your behind as far back as you can get it. Need less braking? Move forward on the bike...need more brakes? Well then go back. You can also steer this way. ...
    Ummmm...riders that brake like that are called Skidiots. Hopefully your technique will improve with better brakes. Until then, please stay off my local trails.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common