mtbr member

V- brake adjustment

Hi Guys,

I have a v- brake question that I need some help with. I will try my best to describe the problem.

On the rear brakes I find that sometimes the one pad will grab the rim alot more then the other side. Say for example im wiping my bike down and I happen to move the whole brake assembly. It will grab on the one pad, or until I center the assembly.

Do I have the adjust the tension screw on the one side?

I hope this makes sense when you guys read it Like I was saying if I center the whole brake its fine. I don't know if this makes a difference or not

Again I hope you guys understand what Im trying to say

Jeremy

mtbr member
    I think I understand what you're trying to say....

Try increasing the tension screw on the side where the pad grabs more. Increase it a little bit, pull the brake lever a couple times, and see if the wheel is centered between the pads

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Thanks I will give that a go and get back to you.

mtbr member
    i tried and its still grabbing slightly.

mtbr member
    Try increasing it a quarter turn at a time, or decreasing it on the other side, until its where you want it.
    Lubing your brake cables might also help

mtbr member
    Thanks, I will give that a go. I cant do any harm by loosening and tightening the screws can I?

mtbr member
    Nope, just make sure you don't get too crazy increasing or decreasing the tension. It will make your brake lever hard to pull if you increase it too much or your pads won't return properly if you decrease it too much

mtbr member
    Okay thanks. I tried to do some adjusting and it still seems to be grabbing on one side,lol. It weird as it only grabs one side and only if the whole assembly has been moved. Is it if the assembly is off center that it will cause this?

mtbr member
    Is it only grabbing when you move the whole caliper? Does it return back to normal when you pull the lever?

mtbr member
    When I bought my bike last year it came with two free tuneups, one in January and the last one expired last Friday. I will get in contact with the owner there and see if he might be kind enough to extend the last tuneup for a couple more weeks. I would feel better if they had a look at it.

There nice guys so I hope he would extend the offer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Is it only grabbing when you move the whole caliper? Does it return back to normal when you pull the lever?

Yeah it only grabs when moving the whole caliper. It does return to normal just grabs slightly ( again it only happens when the whole thing has been moved ) Im sure like you said its just a matter of adjusting the screws. I will play around a bit and if I cant get it I will take it over to them.

mtbr member
    Hey look at that,lol

I might have resolved it. It still grabs a touch but soon as I pull the brake lever it goes back to normal with no restiance, so I might be close to solving this riddle

Thanks for the help 8iking VIIking. This is such a great forum

mtbr member
    Nice! As long as they return to normal without rubbing on the wheel you should be good to go. Check them after your next ride though, you might need to make some minor adjustments

mtbr member
    Yeah seems like they are back to normal. I emailed the fellas at the shop so maybe with any luck they might be kind enough to "extend" the offer on a free tuneup . I'm sure if its just a simple adjustment they would, the shop owner is a great guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Nice! As long as they return to normal without rubbing on the wheel you should be good to go. Check them after your next ride though, you might need to make some minor adjustments

I guess things like that are just tinker around with it until you get it to where you want? problem is I have the attention span of a knat.

But again you gain more knowlege by trying things right? worse case scenario is you just take it to the LBS and get them to fix it, best case you fix it yourself.

mtbr member
    Does it still do it if you disconnect the cable?

Tim

mtbr member
    Thanks Tim. I don't even know how to disconnect the cables. Id be afraid of not being able to get them back together,lol

mtbr member
    Hi again guys,

I had my bike over to the fellas at the shop and he said everything is good. He did do a little adjustment on the barrel as well as well as adjust the tension to give me a little more braking power in the rear.

mtbr member
    Glad it worked out for ya!

mtbr member
    I find it easier to bend the spring to adjust tension. The screw is only good for a fine tune.

If you don't know how to disconnect the cable, you need to find out. Many times you can't change a flat without disconnecting the cable.
    You just push the brake pads together with one hand to release the tension on the cable, and then grab that noodle and slide the end out of the slot on the other arm that holds it.

mtbr member
    Hi again guys,

Well brake are running great now. But I have another question I might need some help with. I am getting a small squeak now that sounds like its coming from the brake cable that runs under the frame. Should I give a small shot of some finish line dry lube? and should I use the aerosol spray or the drop bottle for this?

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Squeak from the cable itself is not normally the cause but you can try pulling the cable out of the housing and rubbing it down with some lube (spray, dropper, whatever).
    Lube on exposed cable can attract dirt however.

You might try lubing the brake lever, brake arm pivots, and the contact point of the spring with the brake arm first.

mtbr member
    Thanks Steve,

Its just one of those small annoying squeaks. I will lube the points you were saying first. Its funny, I rode yesterday and nothing and today I hear it a bit.

mtbr member
    Yep that's what it was Steve, a brake arm pivot. Thanks again for the help