Thread: V-Brake

mtbr member

V-Brake

[SIZE=3]I have been using discs my entire life, and am exploring the possibility of switching to V-brakes. My Shimano XT system weighs a total of 624gr, and am looking for light and best... Some brands I have seen are Shimano XT and XTR, Avid Speed Dial Ultimate, Cane Creek Direct Curve 5, etc... Also, I am interested in hydraulic V-brakes, like the Magura HS33s. Which are the best systems, with not only lightest weight, but most power.?[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moose8500
    [SIZE=3]I have been using discs my entire life, and am exploring the possibility of switching to V-brakes. My Shimano XT system weighs a total of 624gr, and am looking for light and best... Some brands I have seen are Shimano XT and XTR, Avid Speed Dial Ultimate, Cane Creek Direct Curve 5, etc... Also, I am interested in hydraulic V-brakes, like the Magura HS33s. Which are the best systems, with not only lightest weight, but most power.?[/SIZE]
    Why? Nothing beats Discs for stopping power. Is the main reason weight? If that is the case, get some Avid Single digits. Good stopping power and low weight.

mtbr member
    Best light weight Vees for the money are the Avid SD7 brakes and levers. You can get the whole set for $70 from some mail order joints.

The Magura HS33 are wicked strong, however they weigh around 800 grams for the whole, which is heavier than your disc setup. So no weight savings this route.

Also, your wheels may be disc only. Check your rims to see if the the sidewalls are machined for vee brakes. Otherwise, factor in a wheelset aswell.

Vees are strong enough for alot of XC riding. I ride in dry SoCal and like my vees.
    Give me a big scoop of Manteca!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    Why? Nothing beats Discs for stopping power. Is the main reason weight? If that is the case, get some Avid Single digits. Good stopping power and low weight.
    What discs do you use then? Lightweight but still strong...

mtbr member
    The Hope Mini discs are light and strong.

If you really wanted to save weight, you can even special order a 140mm rotor version to same some grams. Formula makes some light 140mm disc too.

I've ridden my friend's Maguara Marta SL brakes with the carbon levers and they are pretty strong too.
    Give me a big scoop of Manteca!