Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Using rear brake too much?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Locoman 
#1 ·
I have a set of 6" Avid disc brakes on my 02' Enduro. I have found lately, while riding steep singletrack, that I am overheating my rear brake (rear rotor is heavily discolored). I admit that I use my rear brake a bit. So last few times out I made a point to try and use the front brake more - still heated up the rear. I am tempted to run a 7" rear brake but that goes against conventional wisdom - the front should have the larger brake. Should I put the 7" up front or is there any reason to run a larger rear? Thanx

#4 ·
Disaster said:
Try staying off them compeletely for the time being. On the other hand, if you aren't experiencing any fading problems in the rear. I wouldn't worry about it.

Danny
Does seem like I am getting brake fade. By the end of the run I am no longer feathering the front and rear I am pretty much riding them - on heavy, off , on, off...

#5 ·
braking is best done in short heavy bursts. this kills off a lot of speed rapidly... maneuvering while on the brakes at all is frequently a bad idea (though at times unavoidable), so you should try to get your braking done on the the relatively straight and smooth sections of the trail before heading into turns etc... I guess it's more of a riding style issue. Focus on braking only when you need to.. it will probably make you a lot faster too. :cool:

#6 ·
You could reverse the levers on the bar... moto style. I found I was favoring my rear brake more than I wanted to since I'm right handed so I reversed the levers and problem solved. With my right hand I can modulate the front brake better with better control.

(If you do this just make sure you mention it to anyone that rides your bike.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.