mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Using old Brakes with New Bike...

Been riding my full suspension with Elixir 3s a bit too much lately and decided to give my 2011 Rockhopper some attention since it's been collecting dust.

Anyways, the bike came with BB5's. I have added SD7 levers and currently using Avid organic pads. Fortunately my experience with my BB5's has been pretty trouble free... almost set it and forget it.

So I recently grabbed a set of used BB7s (older model because the caliper is silver still...not sure what year this is, maybe 2007?)

My question is would you use your 2011 BB5's that have been pretty trouble free and fine so far for my riding or would you swap in a used, possibly 5+ year old BB7? Maybe the current BB5's are better than the older BB7s?

The other option is that I drop my 2012 elixir 3s and slap on the old BB7s on my full susp.

Any input is appreciated!! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ok, let me try asking in a different way... are the older BB7s (silver colored) vs. the newer BB7s (dark/graphite) any different. Current model BB5 better than old BB7?

LightJunction.com
    The two piston adjustability of the two BB7 models should be the same, and that would be better than the single piston adjustability of the BB5. As far as feel, I'd put them on there and see if they felt better myself. If not, I'd pull them back off.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Fat-tired Roadie
    Old BB7s. The little round brake pad in the BB5 doesn't last that long if you're riding in mud.

It's an easy swap, so if you decide you liked your 5s better, you can always go back.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Old BB7s. The little round brake pad in the BB5 doesn't last that long if you're riding in mud.

It's an easy swap, so if you decide you liked your 5s better, you can always go back.
    I agree. It's an easy swap so I'll give it a go. BTW, has the BB7 gone through any changes over the years (2005 through 2012) or just color?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have had several models of BB7's on several different bikes a 2009 BB7's Gary Fisher Rig and 2007 BB7's on a Dahon Fuego. On the Fuego the BB7s' felt ok.

However on the Rig they felt like they had more power. Even though I eventually got rid of the BB7's for reasons other than power in terms of just raw power the 2009 brakes weren't too bad. I thought Avid made a significant improvement between the 2007 and 2009 BB7's.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Ok, let me try asking in a different way... are the older BB7s (silver colored) vs. the newer BB7s (dark/graphite) any different. Current model BB5 better than old BB7?
    All versions of the BB7 work well and about the same. And all are better than the BB5.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just put BB7s on my SS 29er and I'm thinking about putting some on my Gary Fisher HiFi Pro since I like the easy of adjustment.

I had elixir 3s on the SS and I like the BB7s better...I feel like I have more control