mtbr member

Urgent Brake Issue.....

I'm racing tomorrow and need some help fixing my rear brake. I just had them blead a few days ago . I practiced all day today and now my brake lever pulls all the way to the bar and doesnt stop the rear wheel. I dont have new pads or a bleed kit.

Is there any way to set up the brake so it stops the rear wheel better and doesent pull to the bar? The brakes are Avid XO

Thanks

turtles make me hot
    I bet anything when they bled them, they forgot to adjust the lever all the way out so the master cylinder gets a full stroke.
    I've always had to re bleed them when I do that, but MAYBE you could try adjusting the lever out slightly in a pinch.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    You have an air bubble, I think. For tomorrow, couple of things to try. Try tapping the level body where the resevoir is with a rubber piece to knock the air bubble around, try pumping the brake lever many times, and before tomorrow's race, try to get the brake system heated up (use the back brake to get some heat buildup). I have found all of these to work in a pinch, but not as a long term solution.

mtbr member
    If your rear brake on the bike does not work, don't race the bike. Still, I hope it gets fixed in time, good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

How did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by trap121 View Post
    I'm racing tomorrow and need some help fixing my rear brake. I just had them blead a few days ago . I practiced all day today and now my brake lever pulls all the way to the bar and doesnt stop the rear wheel. I dont have new pads or a bleed kit.

Is there any way to set up the brake so it stops the rear wheel better and doesent pull to the bar? The brakes are Avid XO

Thanks
    What was the result?

mtbr member
    I ended up adjusting the lever all the way out. It sucked but at least it stopped the rear and got me through my race run.

Thanks for the help!