mtbr member
    Aug 2009

upgrading from V's

Have a 2000 Kona Muni Mula and love this bike. Still running Avid V’s and I would like upgrade to disc. Cannot decide between shimano SLX hydo’s or Avid BB7 mech’s. I like the BB7’s for their simplicity but they really do seem bulky and maybe ‘old’ technology. There’s also the question….how much do I spend on upgrading this bike. I’ve already upgraded the rear derailleur with a new XT and the cranks to LX as well as new stem, bars, selle saddle etc. Will either purchase crossrides or red metal 5 wheelset with the disc conversion.
    Any suggestions?

Bike builder
    Excellent idea to upgrade to discs.

To me your decision is a no-brainer - go for the Shimano. Although mechanical discs are much better than they used to be, hydraulics are still better and SLXes are excellent, almost as powerful as the XTs and only a little of the fade/pump that still bothers Deores on long downhill trails.

How much do you spend on upgrading your bike? I would pu as much money as possible into your brakes, and less into drivetrain, because I like being able to stop in a hurry. But if you're into racing and need to have fast reliable shifting, you may think differently.

Good luck with the new brakes!
    Free bike maintenance videos every two weeks!
    BuildYourBicycle.com video podcast

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I really like my BB7's. I know hydraulics are better, but I wouldn't walk from here to across the street for the difference between them-for what I do. They have all the power I need and I didn't spend a lot of money. Ride a bike with both and compare them if you can-might surprise you how good the bb7's are.
    My brake setup-speed dial 7 levers with FMJ cables on a 1999 K2 1000. Like you, I like my older bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Doing the full disc can be $$$. If you want to go halfway, then the BB7's are a great choice. You upgrade the wheels and buy the quite cheap cable disc calipers and simply re-cable the bike - easy.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"