mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Upgrading Trek 8500 Brakes to Hydro Discs

Hello All,

Well I'm in the process of doing a complete overhaul to a 2001 Trek 8500 LT bike my buddy gave me. I just ordered a new chain and tubes, as well as some fresh grips. The bike currently has Hayes Cable Disc brakes, and from what I have read, it is a great upgrade to move over to hydro disc brakes.

Could anyone recomend a good model to look at? I don't want to spend crazy amounts of money, but I want a high quality setup. I was looking at the Hayes carbon or Hayes Trail setup, but a few reviews said they aren't really a set it and forget it type of brake.

I plan on riding this bike primarily in the city to get back into shape right now, and then get back into trail riding in a few months. I'd like to slowly beef up the components after riding the bike some more, but I am 100% certain that I want to make some serious brake upgrades. That said, I would prefer something that I can take the time to setup once and not have to fiddle with all the time. Finally, I'm open to a used set of brakes as well - the bike is 8 or 9 years old after all.

Ohh, how do I know what size rotor I can fit on my wheels?

Thanks and sorry for the long post,

Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Pricepoint has a good deal going on now for older XT brakes: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/192...ake-System.htm

You'll have to look up your fork specs to find out the max size rotor for the front. For the rear, take a ruler to the frame; since you already have a rotor back there, you can measure the extra clearance you have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    lyndonchen,

Thanks for the advice and the link.

I've been able to find the Hayes and Avid brakes for around $150 a pop, do you think some of those are better than the XT ones? I can also watch Ebay and try to snag something.

-Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Avid, Hayes, and Shimano all make good brakes, opinions will vary as to which is better or best. One way to get a feel for each brake's pros and cons is to go to the mtbr brake reviews and peruse for a while.

Just curious, the other brakes you found for $150, was that for front or rear only? The XT brakes I linked to are $165 for a complete set F & R.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The brakes I was looking at, were in fact just fronts. I could watch Ebay and try to grab a pair of Hayes or Avids on Ebay.

Is the XT set that you linked a pretty good, set it and forget it, setup?

As I said in my first post, I really want to spend a week revamping this Trek 8500 and then have it be good for a long period of time without much tuning down the road.

-Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The last gen XT's are well-regarded brakes. (I don't have experience with them, just with current gen Shimano, XT and SLX.) They should be "set up and forget". At that price they are a steal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    lyndonchen,

Thanks for the great link, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on them.

I'm assuming these are fairly easy to install? I've done a ton of work on cars in the last few years but not much on bikes...

-Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yup, it's a prebled set, so it's a matter of bolting on to the bike. You will need post mount adapters (or a post mount fork), but if your original brakes were PM then you already have them. If the hoses turn out to be too long for your bike, it's no big deal, you can shorten them later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Let me go take a look at the bike, maybe I'll snap a few pictures too.

-Mike