mtbr member
    Sep 2004

upgrading from Tektro disc to Avid

Hello everyone, I'd like to upgrade my front Tektro discs to Avid Mechanicals on my Hardrock Comp. I want to order online from Jenson, and was wondering if there was anything else I need in order to install these? Or, can I just take off my old discs and bolt on the new ones? Thanks.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by leemr2
    Hello everyone, I'd like to upgrade my front Tektro discs to Avid Mechanicals on my Hardrock Comp. I want to order online from Jenson, and was wondering if there was anything else I need in order to install these? Or, can I just take off my old discs and bolt on the new ones? Thanks.
    That's all you really need to do as a minimum. You might want to consider, however, a new set of cables and casing (if the Avids don't come with new ones). Your bike probably also came stock with a set of Tektro levers. Decent levers, but if you are in the upgrade mode, a set of Avid FR5 levers. If you are looking for better brakes, might as well make the lever part of the upgrade package too. And if you are replacing levers, might as well get a new pair of grips too. Okay, that's it.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Levers and cables

Agree with prev post, you might want to consider a set of Avid Speed Dial levers to go with your mechanical brakes. Definitely change the brakes cables while you're at it. I just installed Avid Flack Jacket shifter cables throughout my bike and super happy with the performance and installation ease. I would assume the Avid brake cables will also be good.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]