mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Upgrading from Shimano mechanical discs to hydraulic...

I've got some bottom-of-the-line Shimano mechanical discs that came on my GF Wahoo and I'm interested in upgrading to hydraulics. I've done some online research and I went to a bike shop the other day to get some more details. They told me that I needed to stay within the Shimano line (because that's what I have now) unless I wanted to overhaul my wheelset and spend an extra couple hundred bucks. Is this really the case? Is there any way I can get around it?

Also, if I do have to stay within the Shimano line, which brake will give me the most for my money? I'm a college student and don't have that much to spend.

Thanks for the help.

Former Bike Wrench
    They told me that I needed to stay within the Shimano line (because that's what I have now) unless I wanted to overhaul my wheelset and spend an extra couple hundred bucks. Is this really the case? Is there any way I can get around it?
    That is not entirely correct. The bike has centerlock hubs and therefore it is designed for centerlock rotors...which Shimano is the maker of (Avid is coming out with some for 2010). However, those rotors can also be used with Avid or Hayes calipers for example with no issues. There are also several manufacturers that make adapters for centerlock hubs to make them the standard six bolt. You best brake for the money will come from previous year(s) product. There is certainly nothing wrong with Shimano hydro brakes, but your not limited to them. Deals on Hayes and Avid brakes can be found all over the internet.

Your LBS mechanics are either stupid or want to sell you a specific product

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the help. I knew what they told me couldn't have been the case.