Don't look back ....

Upgrading Juicy 5's to Formula

In my quest for better braking, now that I can exceed my abilities at times, I'm considering dumping the Juicy 5's and heading over to Formula brand. I've read 75% of the threads and visited the website but I'm missing a few pieces of information.

I have multiple wheelsets. Can I use my existing Avid CleanSweep rotors, or do I need to go to the Formula brand?

How is the normally backed pad availability?

Aside from the color and Ti bolts, are there any real differences between K24/Bianco and Oro? The reservoir assembly shows about 20grams lighter on the Oro, is that all carbon lever weight?

I really dig the Bianco polished look. Is the One finger Lever any different than K24 lever in dimensions, or is just that it's forged? It's really hard to tell from the images on the website.

It's for a small 2007 Spec EPIC Comp w/ HOPE II-Olympic setup.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RideToLive
    In my quest for better braking, now that I can exceed my abilities at times, I'm considering dumping the Juicy 5's and heading over to Formula brand. I've read 75% of the threads and visited the website but I'm missing a few pieces of information.

I have multiple wheelsets. Can I use my existing Avid CleanSweep rotors, or do I need to go to the Formula brand?

I suspect you should go with Formula rotors with your Formula calipers and levers.

Plenty of availability if you shop ahead of time online. You should follow Boy Scout protocol and be prepared with back up pads. The average shop will not stock Formula pads.

Aside from the color and Ti bolts, are there any real differences between K24/Bianco and Oro? The reservoir assembly shows about 20grams lighter on the Oro, is that all carbon lever weight?

Dunno, Chris from Formula will probably answer this thread on Monday morning for you.

I really dig the Bianco polished look. Is the One finger Lever any different than K24 lever in dimensions, or is just that it's forged? It's really hard to tell from the images on the website.
    Again, Chris will have the answers.

As long as your front hub and forks have standard ISE brake specs, as well as your rear frame, the Formulas, any of them, should be no problem to mount.

Single Speed Junkie

Formula brakes can use almost any rotor as long as it is the same diameter and thickness.
    Pads are available. (Not sure what your asking here)
    Carbon lever looks nice, but not a requirement. The Puro is a great brake with all fancy parts (TI / Carbon) K24 are the same thing with out the bling. Bianco is more geared towards FR crowd but they work well for any bike. The color is just a finish on the brake, not anything special.
    Give Chris or Greg a Call over at Formula and they can help you out if you have any questions about their stuff. So far I have been very pleased with my Puros.

Feeding your addiction

I've never had problems getting pads, availability is good. Yes, as Crux said they are basically the same brake just with differences in hardware, lever, and finish.

The Bianco lever is a different shape. If you 1-finger brake then it's a better lever, if you 2-finger brake then the others will probably feel better to you. Any of them can use any of the levers too, so if you really dig the Bianco finish but like 2-finger levers you can do that (though obviously that adds a little to the cost).

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    First sorry for the piggyback/hijack. I am researching upgrade from Juicy 3. I am looking for reach adjustment feature and cannot find it on the formula website for K24. Does anyone know if this feature is available? thank you in advance.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by axelfox
    First sorry for the piggyback/hijack. I am researching upgrade from Juicy 3. I am looking for reach adjustment feature and cannot find it on the formula website for K24. Does anyone know if this feature is available? thank you in advance.
    Yes, all of them have reach adjustment.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry