Weekend Warrior

Upgrading to Disks. What to consider?

I'm running v-brakes right now and am starting to get sick of the constant adjustment. I'm getting some sun rims with XT hubs which should be fine for the amount of riding I do, but I'm torn over the brakes...

I rode a friends Rockhopper (I have a 08 Rockhopper), and he got the BB5 AVID brakes with 160mm front and back rotors, and I absolutelly don't like how they work. It requires a lot more effort and a lot more travel on the lever to stop the bike. I barelly touch mine and they stop.

So I was considering the AVID BB7 in hope that they are a lot stronger than the BB5. Should I go with 180mm front and 160mm rear or is 160mm front and back? I also looked at the LX and MX-2setup but need to go with 6-bolt disks and not centerlock. The MX-2 are I believe cheaper than the rest.

I just want something that has less maintenance than my current v-brakes, but as much power.
    Last edited by daleksic; 01-16-2008 at 08:46 AM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    hi daleksic!

First, I recommend you check the disc FAQ on the top right, for the general info

Second, I think most of what you didn't like (lever travel and effort) can be solved by careful setup. Although I do prefer the bb7 over the bb5 for the additional pad adjustment and easier to find pads (same as Juicy series)

Third, unless you are super light, a 180mm rotor in the front (or a bigger-than-rear rotor for that matter) can always help

Weekend Warrior
    I guess I'll stay with what I got as I live in Florida and to not ride in Mud or Water, so i guess a $300 investment to upgrade won't really make that much of a difference.

Thanks for the link, i never seen it before until you pointed it out. Very informative.

mtbr member
    What brakes do you have now? You could always just upgrade those to higher end V-Brakes. And $300? I hope your not talking about just for brakes because the BB7s are cheaper than that http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdispl...at=Disc+Brakes

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    I guess I'll stay with what I got as I live in Florida and to not ride in Mud or Water, so i guess a $300 investment to upgrade won't really make that much of a difference.

Thanks for the link, i never seen it before until you pointed it out. Very informative.
    No problem!

Weekend Warrior
    I have the stock calipers, whatever that may be. I upgraded the levers to AVID SD TI, very nice titanium levers, and I added Koolstop dual compount Salmon. They have a lot of power. I do half of my riding time on Railtrails and even when wet and a trailer with 2 kids in it I get the rig to stop on a dime.

The issue I'm having may be the darn rims as after a hard day of XC riding and some 3 foot or less jumps the rims get out of true and I find myself loosening the brakes up so they don't touch the rim. I'm pretty good at modulating myself so I get almost no lockup on steep descents.

The guys at the LBS hate me. I'm back every 100 or so miles truing the wheels; luckily i bought the 3 year maintenance plan and they do it for free. Should I just invest maybe in just a better set of wheels?

I got:

RIMS: Specialized/Alex RH 26, double wall, CNC sidewalls
    FRONT HUB: Specialized, forged alloy, 28h, polished races
    REAR HUB: Shimano FH-RM30L, cassette, 32h

mtbr member
    OUCH alex rims.... I would deffo invest in a nice set of custom built wheels... Just my opinion though.

Bite Me.
    Sounds like your wheels are the problem not the brakes. if you don't want to drop too much money look at a set of prebuilt 32 spoke three cross pattern wheels with a stronger rim - something like an XT hub and Rhinolite rim. All the major online shops have deals on decent wheels, not as good as custom built but probably perfect for your needs. Consider a hub that is disc compatible and a rim that works with V-brakes so you can upgrade to discs later if you want.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Weekend Warrior
    Yeah, I was eyeballing a set of Rhinolites with XT hubs....

Weekend Warrior
    I found a great set, I just got one more question: There are 2 identical wheels i'm comparing, XT hubs with Sun Rhinolite XL Wheels, however the one has 36 holes and the other 32. Which one will be the better one?

Bite Me.
    A 36 spoke wheel will be stiffer and stronger, but on that rim it may be overkill. It adds a minor amount of weight over a 32 spoke set up. If you're a big rider doing rough riding you may want the 36. I noticed Jenson has some really good deals on Rhynolites with disc compatible hubs.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Well.. I got a set of XT's to rhyno lites because I originally thought it would be a good deal as well... sure, rhyno lites are strong rims for the money you pay, but all-in-all.. I am most definitally not impressed with them. I'll be spending the money on a better set of rims next time round. Then again, I'm at around 200 and ride pretty hard. So it doesnt suprise me that they didnt hold up.

one thing I'll suggest is since you get free "truing" services, take the wheels and have your LBS tension them right out of the box.

Weekend Warrior
    It's there right now. They must already hate me as it is there at least twice a month.... Maybe this time they'll take care of it once and for all....

mtbr member
    So you already jumped into a xt/rhynolite? Its a good deal on a set of wheels, but just be positive they've put the correct tension into the wheel/pinged and trued 'till it didn't ping anymore...