DcN
    Gonna Die Young

New question here. Upgrading disk breaks...

Hi, on the front of my bike I have a promax Mech and on the rear, V-breaks. I was wondering if it is possible to move the front disk to the back and put an 180mm+ disk on the front. My bike is a Shimano 240-DSX, with a Judy C front fork. Also, this bike was only $700cdn, and I got it on sale for $550. Is it worth upgrading it, or should I just ride it till' it dies?

What are some good disks for good prices (looking for somthing under $120cdn)
    Ride till you die, or else die trying!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I love the robust aluminum frame on the 240-DSX. I have the exact same bike and put quite a bit of inexpensive upgrades into it. It was a lot of fun to upgrade. I switched the Judy C for a Marzocchi EXR Pro, the cheap rear coil for a Cane Creek AD5, the front Promax disc for an Avid Mech, the seat for a lwt Velo, put some eggbeaters on it, and got rid of all the superfluous plastic. The bike rocks now! You can't go wrong replacing that Promax with an Avid Mech (~$69US online). Same brakes were running for ~$200 CAN at the LBS's when I was looking.

You'd need a whole new hub to fit a rotor on the rear and it just isn't worth saving that Promax disc brake for it. If you want to make a good change to the rear, exchange the cheap quaility V brake for a better quality one like an Avid Single Digit rim brake.

Here are a few pics of my 240-DSX with the upgrades. Good luck upgrading yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phat Tire; 09-19-2004 at 09:22 AM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DcN
    Hi, on the front of my bike I have a promax Mech and on the rear, V-breaks. I was wondering if it is possible to move the front disk to the back and put an 180mm+ disk on the front. My bike is a Shimano 240-DSX, with a Judy C front fork. Also, this bike was only $700cdn, and I got it on sale for $550. Is it worth upgrading it, or should I just ride it till' it dies?

What are some good disks for good prices (looking for somthing under $120cdn)
    If your brakes are broken you need to fix or replace them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

bi-winning
    thats an interesting project. it looks much improved. do you have any more plans for it? I think i still see an Acera rear derailleur
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    do you have any more plans for it? I think i still see an Acera rear derailleur

Drive train is next.