Living the Dream

Upgrading from Avid Mechs to Louise FRs?

I am going to upgrade from Avid Mechs to Louise FRs on my 5 Spot. Part of the reason for doing this, is I am using Grip Shifts, and I heard the New Louise FR levers are long nad work well with Grip Shift. I'll be getting the 180mm rotors. Is this a wise upgrade?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    It would be cheaper and easier to get new levers for your Avids. Any v-type levers work.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No, that's not phonetic
    I used to run Avid mechs and currently have the Louise FRs on my bikes. I really like both brakes. I would switch if you wanted to try a hydro (for the "feel"), wanted to lose some weight, and wanted bigger rotors and longer levers and as long as you are spending the $$ you may as well go whole-hog. Or if you saw some significant shortcoming with the Avids, but you did not mention being unhappy with them.

Otherwise just shopping for a longer lever like Shiggy suggested would get you where you wanted to be.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I used to run Avid mechs and currently have the Louise FRs on my bikes. I really like both brakes. I would switch if you wanted to try a hydro (for the "feel"), wanted to lose some weight, and wanted bigger rotors and longer levers and as long as you are spending the $$ you may as well go whole-hog. Or if you saw some significant shortcoming with the Avids, but you did not mention being unhappy with them.

Otherwise just shopping for a longer lever like Shiggy suggested would get you where you wanted to be.
    Would you be willing to share you thoughts on difference in power between the Louise and BBDB with similar sized rotors?

How does the Louise feel at the lever compared to the Juicy?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    If you want hydraulics, now is the time to do it. Greenfish has some crazy deals on Louise FR's right now. Anytime you can score a killer set of brakes for less than $300 you gotta go for it.Anyway, I switched from the Avids to th FR's. The hydraulics win hands down as far as modulation is concerned. The FR's are also extremely quiet. Don't expect the FR's to be a lot more powerful than the Avids.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Tscheezy's right - upgrade for a change of pace but not for a longer lever blade. Plus calling it an "upgrade" is somewhat subjective. I went from a 203/160 Avid Mech to a 180/180 Louise FR and the Louise's have as much power as the 203. However each brake has it's strengths and weaknesses and I can't argue which is better - it just depends on what you're in the mood for.
    I still run one bike with the Avid's and another with the Louise's. I like them both - alot.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    Anyway, I switched from the Avids to th FR's. The hydraulics win hands down as far as modulation is concerned. The FR's are also extremely quiet. Don't expect the FR's to be a lot more powerful than the Avids.
    Do you think they are any less powerful than a comparable sized Avid mechanical?

Living the Dream

I currently use Avid SD7 levers

I thought these were V-Type levers. Are the Louise Levers longer than the SD7s.? Maybe I'll just switch to trigger shifters--which I have on my DH bike. Thanks for all the great info.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    I thought these were V-Type levers...
    They are.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No, that's not phonetic
    Do a search on this board under my handle for "juicy louise" and you will find my posts on this topic.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

There's no app for this.

Thorough Louise FR review

is here. You'd be hard pressed to find a better writeup, and if Whistler isn't the best test, I can't think of a better one?

Hope this helps, Jim MCM #11
    Last edited by JimC.; 02-08-2005 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelivcated Luoise rong