mtbr member
    Apr 2005

upgrading to avid 7 mechanicals

ok guys, alot of questiions. i want to do most of this myself since the LBS likes to rip people off a little bit. SOOO here it goes. I have a trekie 4300, good bike, brakes suck. so i'm upgrading. DO i have to buy new wheels or are the wheels "upgradable" to make them compatible. I say no, my buddy seems to think there is something that can be done. help!!! What all do i have to buy to make this crossover i am running the v's that came on it and the rims are the stockers, what do i need to do?

Sorry but you'll need new rims and hubs, both disk specific. Probably if you look around you can pickup a disk wheelset online for cheap, if you don't mind one that's a bit on the heavy side. If your frame and fork are disk compatible the Avid's are very easy to mount up by yourself if you follow the instructions.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    You will need new wheels unless your hubs look something like this:

instead of this:

Complete wheels can be cheaper (if you shop around) than rebuilding with your current rims.

There is a product to convert hubs but it costs more than new Deore or XT disc hubs and requires half of the spokes to be replaced. Not worth the effort.

You do not need disc-specific rims. There are a few rib brake rims that should not be used for disc brakes. Should not be an issue for you.

You may need a bolt-on rear disc mount for the Trek frame. Available only through Trek/Fisher/Klein dealers. Should cost less than $20. It was required on ~2000-2003 frames. Not sure about the newer models.

The Avid brakes work great. You can use your current levers. You will need new cables and housing.

Needed for conversion to discs:
    • wheels (if hubs are not disc)
    • cables and housing (not included with brakes)
    • the disc brakes
    • Trek rear disc mount (maybe)
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Live 2 Ride
    You really don't NEED disc-specific rims - I know many people that don't run disc-specific rims with disc brakes. All you really need is disc hubs.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    You WILL need the adapter for the rear disc brake. I just upgraded my Trek 4500 to disc yesterday, and found out the hard way. Our frames are the same, so you'll need the adapter as well. Contacted my local Trek dealer and was told the adapter will only be $5. No biggie. I'll have to wait a week for it though.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    When you get to the point of installing the Avids mechs, make sure you follow the directions closely. I know that sounds obvious, but I know many people people who have not setup their Avid correctly. Setup is key for getting the much heralded performance out of Avid mechs. It's just 6 steps that well illustrated and explained. Take your time.

Sometimes when cruise the bike shop showroom, I noticed that new bikes with Avids aren't even setup correctl with the 1/3 and 2/3 caliper spacing or have too "preload" on the arm.

We want... a shrubbery!
    I agree with Franken--I took the time to set up my Avid 7 mechs correctly. As in took my time, I wasn't content with my first install so I did it all over again. Not saying that it's hard--that's the thing, they're so easy to set up I can see why people won't follow the instructions. But, they work really well... like a dream...
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyickyptngzutboing
    Not saying that it's hard--that's the thing, they're so easy to set up I can see why people won't follow the instructions...
    I think you nailed it on the head.

Because Avids appear SO simple to install, that lots of folks just install them without reading the instructions. I was guilty of this with my first set of Avids a couple years ago. Swore they were inferior to V-brakes. Then went back and read the directions and realized some things I guessed were wrong.

I went to Magura hydraulics after that first Avid set. I later sold the Maguras and now I am back to Avids.

I almost stuck something in my post about not necessarily needing disc specific rims or not, but figured you'd be better off with a disc specific wheelset in any case. Your rims might have been disc suitable, but not knowing what they are I don't know...and besides, having your wheels rebuilt with your old rims really doesn't save anything over finding a good wheelset deal (and you can still use those old wheels that way too).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique