mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Upgrading '01 RM Element race to Avid discs...what all do I need?

Hi all,

I've got this:

Basically, it has disc hubs and rear disc thingys. Since it's Avid, I've heard that I can upgrade to BB7 discs easily. Apparently I need the BB7, but not sure what size.

I've heard of people using too powerful of a rear disc on a '00 Element (tearing the frame), so I want a smaller, less powerful rear disc. Where do I go from there? Is that the BB5 or do I just do a smaller BB7 here?

This has to be on the cheap too, I can't afford hydraulics.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    BB7, 160 rotors, cables, housing
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

A wheelist
    What Shiggy said.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Gotcha, thanks guys.

So that's 160 mm for both...hope that won't tear the rear frame.

ups and downs
    The bike was designed for 160mm rotors in the rear no problem at all.

The one thing you might consider is Dremeling out the V-brake cable guides on the top tube to allow you to run full length brake cable housing to the rear brake. I tried Avid BB-7's on my 2000 Instinct frame and found the extra drag from the two extra ferrules and the frame guides made the cable friction a bit high for the return spring on the rear caliper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Former Bike Wrench
    I would also recommend the use of high quality cables and housing...this makes a big difference with mech disc brakes...especially the rear.

I used Avid Flak Jacket for mine and it was a big upgrade over generic (ie Alligator or Jagwire) cables and housing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Man, this is looking to be much harder than I had originally thought.

I really wanted to do this because I like the idea of discs, but it's looking like I'll be a little over my head here. I'll do it if I can get my work to buy the parts...

The big reason I wanted to do this is because my rear wheel isn't true, so the v-brake rubs a little per revolution. Not sure what the problem was there or how I solve that one.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundel
    Man, this is looking to be much harder than I had originally thought.

I really wanted to do this because I like the idea of discs, but it's looking like I'll be a little over my head here. I'll do it if I can get my work to buy the parts...

The big reason I wanted to do this is because my rear wheel isn't true, so the v-brake rubs a little per revolution. Not sure what the problem was there or how I solve that one.
    regardless of what braking system you use, you should have your rear wheel trued. take it to a local bike shop. It will cost $10-$20. you don't want it to buckle do you?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    regardless of what braking system you use, you should have your rear wheel trued. take it to a local bike shop. It will cost $10-$20. you don't want it to buckle do you?
    Wow, didn't know that was such a huge deal. I'm still a n00b to the maintenance stuff. Zinn's book & DVD are on order to help out.

I'm going to the not-so-local LBS sometime soon to do reconstructive surgery on a Duke fork. I'll take the RM too...hopefully won't have to foot this bill either.

Good call, thanks.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundel
    Wow, didn't know that was such a huge deal. I'm still a n00b to the maintenance stuff. Zinn's book & DVD are on order to help out.

I'm going to the not-so-local LBS sometime soon to do reconstructive surgery on a Duke fork. I'll take the RM too...hopefully won't have to foot this bill either.

Good call, thanks.
    good idea on getting the zinn book. it is highly rated.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club