mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Upgrade v-brakes with...v-brakes or mechanical disc?

I need to upgrade the the Avid Single Digit 5's that came on my 03 Stumpjumper. I ride mostly XC with a little light AM in the desert southwest so I shouldn't need more then v-brakes...but my 225 lb fat arse demands a little more stopping power. I am between upgrading the 5's in favor of newer Avid Single Digit 7's in the hope that the newer 7's are stiffer...or a BB7 front with and SD 7 rear (which is what a number of folks around here run). The problem with going with a BB7 front is that I would need a new front wheel with a hub that has a disc mount. That would add another $125 to the cost.

So...is a BB7 and new front wheel worth the additional costs of just the SD 7 given my weight and riding style? Is there a better option then the SD 7? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Upgrade to either SD7 V brakes with SD7 levers or go to the BB7 Mechanical discs. I ride a few bikes, and all used to run with the SD7 V brake setup using Kool Stop pads instead of the rim wranglers. Great setup, great breaks, does well.

I upgraded one of my bikes to discs brakes last year. This was merely for two things: 1) to try disc brakes, and 2) To have a much larger selection of wheels to choose from because I want new wheels that are lighter than what I have. The BB7's are great. I also got rid of Avid pads on this setup and went with organic Kool Stop's. Big difference and was a great upgrade in regards to the pads.

If I had SD5's on my bike, I would at least upgrade to better SD7 V-brakes. Much better brake, and it will be a very cheap upgrade and do you right.

The BB7's, when you get used to playing with them and setting them up, are nice brakes. Takes a bit to set them up for your very first time, but after that they are cake and easily adjustable. Mine are silent as can be and make no noise at all. The BB7's are run with Kool Stop organic pads and G2 rotors.

If you ever toast your wheels and need to replace them, it will be easier to get wheels that use disc brakes only. Much more selection when it comes to getting new wheels if you switch your system to Disc Brakes. That is just the way that things are going now. Do you want to go that way now, or later. Eventually you will go to disc brakes. If you are going to do the Front wheel, just go ahead and do both.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by fireroad
    The problem with going with a BB7 front is that I would need a new front wheel with a hub that has a disc mount. That would add another $125 to the cost.
    Then why in god's name haven't you jumped on the Mavic CrossRide wheelset deal at Competitive Cyclist for $89? Heck, I just put on a set of those to upgrade my son's 26er HT from V-Brakes:

Mavic Crossride UB/Disc @ Competitve
    Mavic Crossride UB/Disc @ Competitve 99

mtbr member
    what you need to do is get at least the avid SD-7 levers and calipers (avid ultimates if you can, they are amazing), clean your rim really really good with simple green or 409, get a new set of pads, the avid rim wranglers that come with the calipers will work fine, and also, if you notice your frame flexes when you grab the rear brake hard, get a brake booster

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for all the input, I'm definitely going to pick up a set of SD7's. Gotta love the light weight and simplicity of rim brakes! When I finally trash my wheels I'll look into a BB7 front but for now they are in great shape (and a bit nicer then the crossride).

As for the levers...I have heard/read folks weren't too happy with the newest version of the 7's...they felt cheap and had some play? Somewhere I have a set of the Avid Ti brake levers (which were replaced by the SLs). They have they same features as the 7 and the ports like the ultimates.As cool as the ultimates look the price is outrageous.

@Wildeyes- Which kool stop fits the 7's? Avid Type 1 is the only one I've found.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Went ahead and ordered the SD 7's, will be here this weekend. They should be a huge improvement as my current brakes are actually SD 3s, not SD 5s.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I highly recommend these pads:http: http://www.koolstop.com/english/tectonic.html

Kool Stop Tectonic (3 compound)

They will probably make the biggest difference. If I remember correctly the Avid pads that come with the brakes quickly become garbage.

mtbr member
    I've went straight to Avid Ultimates w/Kool Stop MTB pads and love them

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by proline69
    I've went straight to Avid Ultimates w/Kool Stop MTB pads and love them
    As much as I wanted the ultimates I just could not stomach the price. So far I love my SD7s, huge improvement over my old 3Rs. When I finally trash my front rim I probably will get a BB&.

BTW, where do you get your Kool Stops?