Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Upgrade stock mech brakes to hydr and keep stock rotors?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Cleared2land 
#1 ·
I would like to upgrade the brakes on this bike:

2006 4300 Disc - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

from mechanical to hydraulic brakes. I'm looking to keep this as cheap as possible, the most basic Shimano hydr calipers and levers. My question is, can I use the existing 160mm rotors with any hydr levers and calipers?

Thanks!

#2 ·
you can look for used/take off brakes too. Lots of bikes come with Avid Elixirs and many people swap them out right away.

as for using your stock rotors, you should be OK. you will want to make sure that you have 160mm adapters if your frame/fork does not use post mounts.

#12 ·
you can look for used/take off brakes too. Lots of bikes come with Avid Elixirs and many people swap them out right away
Good grief, don't encourage the man to buy Avid brakes! There is a very good reason lots of people take them off, they are wretched things.

Buy Shimano, just about any ones will work. Value pick is M615 but the cheaper/older ones work fine too. Or Tektro if you see nice ones cheap, they use mineral oil too and also seem pretty reliable.

#3 ·
The rotors will be fine, just have to center your new calipers.

Are you just replacing them because you've worn down the old pads enough that a new pad set's cost justifies the upgrade, or are they really that bad? I've upgraded tectro novels to some BB7s and they are much better. A litle more pull is required than some hydro's I've tried, but I like the firmer feedback.

#4 ·
I have hydr on my trail bike and love them. My commuters mechanical brakes seem to constantly need adjusting and don't have a nice firm feel, so I was going to see what I could find in the way of a cheap set of hydraulics.

I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible and hassle free as possible if I go hydraulic, that's why I was going to see about keeping the 160mm rotors.

I'm unfamiliar with this 160mm adapter?

#5 ·
There are adapters on your frame & fork that the brake calipers screws into. Different adapters are used for different diameter rotors. You want to leave the adapters on the frame & fork, and just remove the brake calipers.

Personally, if you wanted to keep it cheap, get some new Avid BB5 off ebay or look around at the on-line bike stores. A set will cost $45 off ebay. BB7 are better, but cost a few bucks more. When compared against cheap hydraulics, they will be about the same.

#10 ·
Sounds like some BB7s might be a good choice. Based on pictures of the calipers, they don't look like they're horribly bad. Decent sized pad and some adjustments are available. Have you tried sanding the pads & rotor, wiping the rotor down with rubbing alcohol, and then completely re-positioning/re-adjusting the caliper?

#13 ·
Hi,

If you want a reliable brakes with good performance and dirty cheap have a look at the Shimano M395/M396, you won't get disappointed, for $50~$60 you can get a set of good reliable brakes. My father use them on his 650B hardtail and they can stop you as good as any other brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.