mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Upgrade stock mech brakes to hydr and keep stock rotors?

I would like to upgrade the brakes on this bike:

2006 4300 Disc - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

from mechanical to hydraulic brakes. I'm looking to keep this as cheap as possible, the most basic Shimano hydr calipers and levers. My question is, can I use the existing 160mm rotors with any hydr levers and calipers?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you can look for used/take off brakes too. Lots of bikes come with Avid Elixirs and many people swap them out right away.

as for using your stock rotors, you should be OK. you will want to make sure that you have 160mm adapters if your frame/fork does not use post mounts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The rotors will be fine, just have to center your new calipers.

Are you just replacing them because you've worn down the old pads enough that a new pad set's cost justifies the upgrade, or are they really that bad? I've upgraded tectro novels to some BB7s and they are much better. A litle more pull is required than some hydro's I've tried, but I like the firmer feedback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have hydr on my trail bike and love them. My commuters mechanical brakes seem to constantly need adjusting and don't have a nice firm feel, so I was going to see what I could find in the way of a cheap set of hydraulics.

I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible and hassle free as possible if I go hydraulic, that's why I was going to see about keeping the 160mm rotors.

I'm unfamiliar with this 160mm adapter?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    There are adapters on your frame & fork that the brake calipers screws into. Different adapters are used for different diameter rotors. You want to leave the adapters on the frame & fork, and just remove the brake calipers.

Personally, if you wanted to keep it cheap, get some new Avid BB5 off ebay or look around at the on-line bike stores. A set will cost $45 off ebay. BB7 are better, but cost a few bucks more. When compared against cheap hydraulics, they will be about the same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a set of Avid Elixir 1's I'd let go cheap. Open disclosure: They squealed and vibrated and I didn't want to fix it, so I swapped for XTs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you do buy some really good ones, and I can't help but read how great and affordable some of the new Shimanos are, just keep the stock brakes and put them back on if you resell the bike.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Does your bike currently have the brake levers and shifters combined as a one piece unit ?

If they are and you want to put on hydraulic brakes on the bike then you'll also need to buy new shifters too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Cobba-

Valid point, they are all integrated. Looks like I'll just keep them mechanical for right now...

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sounds like some BB7s might be a good choice. Based on pictures of the calipers, they don't look like they're horribly bad. Decent sized pad and some adjustments are available. Have you tried sanding the pads & rotor, wiping the rotor down with rubbing alcohol, and then completely re-positioning/re-adjusting the caliper?