mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Upgrade to Hayes Trail?

Newby with old school Hayes 4 bolt disc... should I go with affordable Hayes, or shop around.

Nuts
    Some like'em and some hate'em! I didn't like then at all, better brakes out there to be found for a resonable price imoa.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I like my Stroker's just fine, but don't know if they would be the best choice. The new Hayes Prime line looks awesome though.

mtbr member
    I am about to receive a bike with Stroker Carbons, same as you want with different levers, and I am just excited to have hydrolic brakes. From what I hear about them though is that they do their job good, but some will complain of them being a little noisy and supposedly they suck to bleed. By looking at the instructions, it honestly does not look bad to me.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042
    I am about to receive a bike with Stroker Carbons, same as you want with different levers, and I am just excited to have hydrolic brakes. From what I hear about them though is that they do their job good, but some will complain of them being a little noisy and supposedly they suck to bleed. By looking at the instructions, it honestly does not look bad to me.

-Brett
    I never bled a brake before in my life, but had no problem bleeding mine. I watched the "how to" video on you tube, and also watched the video for Avid Juicy's and there isn't much difference, difficulty wise.
    As for noise, I have had a little bit of squealing, and my opinion is that any squealing is too much. Unfortunately, it is common with disc brakes of all types. I have had good luck using Permatex Disc Brake Quiet, which I picked up at Autozone. Just spray the back of your pads and reinstall them. Works great, but doesn't last forever. After a few months I had to reapply it, but no big deal.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...rake_Quiet.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have hayes stroker trails and stroker aces and I love them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    I never bled a brake before in my life, but had no problem bleeding mine. I watched the "how to" video on you tube, and also watched the video for Avid Juicy's and there isn't much difference, difficulty wise.
    As for noise, I have had a little bit of squealing, and my opinion is that any squealing is too much. Unfortunately, it is common with disc brakes of all types. I have had good luck using Permatex Disc Brake Quiet, which I picked up at Autozone. Just spray the back of your pads and reinstall them. Works great, but doesn't last forever. After a few months I had to reapply it, but no big deal.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...rake_Quiet.htm
    I use something similar to that on all the cars in my family when I replace the brakes. Good idea to use it on the bike. I think I will do that if it the noise bothers me.

-Brett