mtbr member
    Apr 2009

upgrade from elixir 3s to XTs, what about the fork mount?

Recently picked up some 2012 Shimano XTs to replace my stock Avid Elixir 3s, but haven't had a chance to install them yet. Out of the box, they look boss.

Before I mount them, should I be concerned about the caliper mount for the fork? I'm using (roughly) the same size rotor (went from 185mm cleansweep G2s to 180mm ice tech), so in theory, I could use the Avid mount for the XT caliper, right?

Or are the designs of the caliper different? Holes should line up, right?

Went to several LBS in town, and no one had that Shimano mount in stock, let alone a clear answer.

mtbr member
    The difference of 2.5mm (difference in diameter is 5mm, hence difference in radius is 2.5mm) might cause some brake track issues. If you use the 185mm adapters, your caliper will end up being 2.5mm too far from the brake track on the 180mm rotor. The brakes will probably still work, but part of the brake pad will never be in contact with the rotor and a ridge might eventually develop.

I'm sure many online retailers will have the adapters you need.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

mtbr member
    The proper adapters are 10-15 bucks each.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    the avid rotors have a larger track than the xt brakes, so theres room for play. I used avid rotors with avid adaptors, worked fine.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    The proper adapters are 10-15 bucks each.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.BL View Post
    the avid rotors have a larger track than the xt brakes, so theres room for play. I used avid rotors with avid adaptors, worked fine.

both the above are true. there is a 99% chance that performance will be exactly the same despite the small difference in size. but, the adapters are cheap. i've ran the wrong adapters with great results, but only temporarily since you might as well have the right stuff.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.BL View Post
    Even with the larger track of the avid rotor, the actual outer edge of the rotor is going to be 2.5mm further away.....the pads will more then likely be a few mm off the top of the rotor.

And of course using avid rotors with avid adaptors things worked fine - you were using a 185mm adaptor with a 185mm rotor. The OP is talking about using a shimano 180mm rotor with an avid 185mm adaptor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you use the smaller rotor with the large adapter a ridge will definitely form on the top of the pads where it does not contact the rotor. Eventually when the pads wear down the ridges will press against each other instead of clamping on the rotor, you will lose braking power.