mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Upgrade calipers now, rest later? Promax to BB5/7? Bike is 3 hours old lol...

So I scored a pretty good deal on an Kona Splice 29er, knowing that I would eventually upgrade the mechanical on the bike because I like the frame/fit/finish/price.

The problem is this is the 3rd bike I have purchased this week! I need to be conservative with the $$ on this.

The bike came with ProMax mechanical with 160mm discs. The levers are integrated with the crap rapidfire shifters which I would also like to replace eventually, but not sure what direction I want to go with those yet.

So I am wondering if I could upgrade the calipers now, and the levers later, after I decide what shifters I want to go with?

I want to stick with mechanical.

I will mostly be riding this bike XC for the time being - nothing super techy or crazy DH.

Would BB5s be good enough?

mtbr member
    By all accounts BB7 are much better than BB5 brakes and only a few dollars more. Get BB7.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    I agree. Go BB7. Larger brake pad. Much easier install and adjustability.

Your existing levers should work fine, btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    I agree, go with the BB7s if you can swing it. The BB5 is an upgrade over the Promax brake, but it's only a marginal upgrade. The biggest plus for the 7s is, as jonathanG noted, the larger pad surface, and that both inboard and outboard pads are adjustable. And, as noted, your current levers will work fine with them.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Blueskycycling has a BB7 kit that comes with spd7 levers, cables, and 160 rotors, front and rear, for around $130.00. I know you don't need the levers at this time but at least you will already have them when you go to change out your shifters.

Sent using my fat thumbs!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Why do you need 3 bikes? one road, one mountain and one unicycle?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    Haha, I don't want to be rude here but this person is right. 3 bikes in one week is crazy. Why do you need so much bikes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Haha, I don't want to be rude here but this person is right. 3 bikes in one week is crazy. Why do you need so much bikes?
    The correct number of bikes is n +1.

n + 1 | Bike Noob

Now that you two have been properly educated you should apologize to the OP!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Some may laugh, but before upgrading the caliper, I suggest an upgrade in rotor size will give a huge improvement. The brakes on my bike were marginal at best. Upped the rotor size from 165 to 205 mm and used an adapter to make the OE caliper work with the larger rotor. (Avid CPS Disc Brake Mounting Bracket for post mount - $8.91 will work with your Promax).

Now, the stopping power is 3 times better. I can easily ride an endo, and the control is so much better. One finger braking is now the norm. I only upgraded the rotor on the front, because the rear has plenty of stopping power, and I keep it set loose for better feel. For me a 203 or 185 in the back would just mean skidding tire all the time.

Up-size the rotor, and the caliper may come into its own. Worked for me!

PS: get new pads to break in the new rotor.
    My Ride: I've upgraded so many parts I don't know what it is anymore!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So wait...what are the other 2 bikes? Why not just buy one really good one?