11 is one louder than 10

Unable to push fluid through Juicy's when bleeding

Has anyone had this problem before?

Following the bleed to a T. I've done this a bunch of times. It has been a good year since they were bled, but they sat for 7 months of that.

When I go to bleed the line, I absolutely can not get fluid through. It's not going through the line. I've even pulled the line and blown compressed air through it and it seems OK, yet when I go to bleed - can not push fluid through.

Any suggestions?
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've had this problem before. First, read the directions very very carefully. if the lever is pulled down, the fluid will not pass through the lever. once the caliper is bled (lever pulled down), then the line is bled (lever out). then the master is bled (lever out and caliper sealed).

If you're doin the bleed right the line is fine. The problem is in the lever. I had to take it apart and rebuild the lever. Had to order a kit from my LBS and replace all the seals then bleed the hell out of them. Somehow I think bad fluid was used on my front brakes cause the seal reservoir seal was swollen about 2 times as big as it should have been and the piston seal was missing chunks that were found in the brake line. Either way. I would rebuild the lever.

If you really dont want to do that you can try taking the brake line off the lever and putting brake fluid in the reservoir (cap removed) and pumping the lever in a hope to push out any blockage. Either way, it's blocked for a reason and the only thing in the brake system is fluid and seals.

...In the meantime.
    I've had this problem on a set of Ultimates...turns out there was grease or some such blocking the port the reservoir. Pull the cap off clean it out and see if that solve yer problems. Also previous see the previous poster's suggestions.

11 is one louder than 10

Yup, crap up in the lever

The only thing I hadn't done was pull the lines from the levers, I had pulled them at the caliper and those o-rings were a bit beat up, replaced them and tried to re-bleed. No go.

Finally broke down and pulled the lines. Sure enough, all sorts of crap below the resovoir and the lower part of the lever. Amazing how much black gobs of crap came out. I'm presuming o-rings that broke down.

So, rear brake is a go. Front brake is next. Man I hate rebuilding hydraulic brakes.

Avid kind of ticks me off in that you can't just order up o-rings. For the caliper end you have to order up the whole banjo bolt, for the bleed port screws on the levers - a whole lever repair kit with resovoir.

Don't get me wrong, Avid was great on the phone. But I wish I could buy a cheap 4 pack of barbs and olives, and a small o-ring kit.

Barbs and olives are packs of 10 for about 12 bucks each. Not a huge deal, but I don't rebuild that often.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

...In the meantime.
    Cool glad that worked out...man my previous post is nearly incoherent...gotta stop drinkin' an' postin'