mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Ultimate high speed brake setup suggestions

Hi guys. I'm looking for suggestions and opinions on high end hydraulic disc brake setups/kits. I know electric bikes aren't popular here, but its for an electric bike. Mostly used for road racing. It will see 60mph + a lot. I will need to be able to stop from those speeds. (please no lectures about safety) At times i will need to do this back to back. I dont want to burn up pads and or fluid. I really only need a front kit. Ideally something that will dissipate heat well wile taking a lot of abuse. replacement pad availability is semi important. I would rather spend more $ for something with ease of use and reliability opposed to saving a few buxx and getting a headache.

I currently have Hayes that came with my Kona and they work well for the first and 2nd high speed brake, but after that the caliper and rotor are saturated with so much heat that they simply dont work. 26"

So if i had a budget of 250 +- for a front setup, what would you get and where would u buy it from? i would be willing to spend more if reasons are justified.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Hope Tech V2, if heat is a problem fit the V2 vented rotor with it as well.

Hope sell every part as an individual spare should you need it and pads are fairly easy to find, a few brands sell them besides Hope. It is essentially a miniaturised motorcross brake, it's the biggest, most heat resistant (and heaviest, probably) mtb brake on the market.

If you find that over heating then you officially need brakes from a motorbike.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the V2.

Otherwise maybe consider the new Shimano's - XTR trail with Ice Tech stuff for good heat dissipation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the replies!

Is there a good distributor most people use to get the V2's with the vented rotors? A lot of the places on the net dont even specify if its floating or vented. I would prefer vented, just the front and hopefully a place in the USA that has them in stock for a reasonable price.
    Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Contact the US distributor. They are good, from what I have heard.

US Independent Distributor
    Hope Technology USA Inc.
    1414 S. Frazier St.
    Ste 110
    Conroe
    TX 77301
    USA
    Phone: +1 936 756 5004
    Fax: +1 936 756 5017
    Email: usa@hopetech.com

mtbr member
    There's a similar thread here about using mountain bike brakes on a Honda CRF50F mini motorbike:

Unusual Brake Advice

They went with Avid Code brakes in the end which apparently worked ok.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My local shop guy told me to go with Formula One brakes with the 180 rotor. What do you guys think about the Formula one stuff?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The Codes probably worked because they had quad pistons. More pistons (normally) more power and better temperature stability.

Hope makes the Tech M4, and Shimano makes the Saint M810.

Vented rotors dissipate heat better than solids. Hope venteds for the win.

Choose your poison.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I think that whatever brakes you go with, you should try to get 203mm rotors(If they fit). It gives you more power and a greater area to spread the heat to, thus higher fade resistance. Vented rotors might help too.