Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    650b me

Ultimate BB7 setup

Please share your ultimate Avid BB7 setup:

Pads?
    Levers?
    Cables/housing?
    Rotors?

Thanks in advance. I'm just looking to maximize performance of the best mechanical discs on the market at this time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Check out blueskycycling. They had a combo with a pair of bb7's, g2 cleansweeps, and xtr cables, and speed dial 7 levers. All for like 120....hell of a steal.
    07 Epic
    10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Here's my setup:

BB7 calipers (2009)
    Cleansweep X rotors (185F/160R), Ti bolts
    Avid sintered pads (will be trying out some Kool-Stop sintered pads shortly)
    Paul's Love Levers
    SRAM Straight Jacket cables/housings

Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy

Pads?
    Levers?
    Cables/housing?
    Rotors?

Thanks in advance. I'm just looking to maximize performance of the best mechanical discs on the market at this time.
    I've been running them for almost a decade. While I haven't tried everything (not even close), here's what I found I like (and/or dislike):

Pads - The stock sintered pads are pretty good. I prefer the Goodridge G-star semi-metallic pads by a slight margin. If I'm buying a new set, I'd run the stocks pads down first before switching - no need to waste money.

Levers - I prefer SD-7 levers over Ultimates (I own both). To prevent the Ultimate's wedge/barrel adjusters from constantly jiggling, you have to put too much cable tension on the brakes. With the SD-7, I don't have to make that compromise - I can adjust for light cable tension and get no rattle. I also like the feel of the SD-7 better. Then there's the price difference ...

Cable/housing - Again, I might be strange but I've found the regular QBP housing (what most shops have in file boxes) and non-coated Stainless steel cables to work great - if you cut them square and prep the ends flat and square. I absolutely hated the Avid Flak Jacket setup - way too much money, tons of friction, and the housings were super abrasive on my frames - like 3 rides and they had a huge gouge cut into the frame. Telfon coated cables just seem wear/flake off the coating which helps to gum up the housings. Also, go full housing if possible, large smooth bends, don't pinch the housing with overly tight zip ties.

Rotors - Not much experience here with other brands, but the G2 are pretty good and way more quiet than G1. Size is key here. I run 160 rear, 185 front on my bikes. Dual 160 doesn't cut it for me (and I'm under 150 lbs.). I tried 185 rear but had trouble modulating (lock ups were too easy) so 160 rear it is. Bigger rides or people who run long, steep, extended downhills (miles at a time) might want to consider larger rotors.

Even with all the "best" stuff, setup and tuning makes all the difference between a crappy feeling brake system and a high performing one. The BB7 calipers and SD-7 levers give you tons of adjustment - for the good or for the bad.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Pads?
    Levers?
    Cables/housing?
    Rotors?

BB7 Road calipers
    Galfer pads
    Galfer wave rotors (185/160)
    Shimano Dura Ace STI (9-sp) levers
    Nokon full length housing
    Jagwire Teflon coated cables (no lube)
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a some what odd set up for sure.

2010 BB7 road calipers
    avid sintered pads
    Very old avid ultimate levers - cantilever ones with Ti hardware and anodized red that is faded to pink.
    180 ashima air rotor upfront with filed down magura IS adapter.
    160 ashima air rotor in back.

Shimano housing and jagwire stainless cables.

I very much agree with stiney on cables.

650b me
    Thanks, everyone.

@251: How well do the Cleansweep X rotors work with BB7 calipers? I was under the impression from the Avid website that they are incompatible, or at least not recommended. Also, how do you like the Love Levers?

@Steiny: Thanks for your impression on SD-7 levers vs Ultimates. I am considering Ultimates, but I have some SD-7's lying around, so maybe I'll go with those.

@Shiggy: Why road calipers and levers? What is your bike setup?

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    I run them on a couple of bikes and really like them. The only reason I have a pair of Ultimate levers is because I snagged 'em for $50 on a popular internet auction website.

Pads? stock
    Levers? Ultimate's and SL's
    Cables/housing? Jagwire 5mm Ripcord w/stainless cables
    Rotors?160 G3 FR & RR

- Chris

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks, everyone.

@251: How well do the Cleansweep X rotors work with BB7 calipers? I was under the impression from the Avid website that they are incompatible, or at least not recommended. Also, how do you like the Love Levers?

@Steiny: Thanks for your impression on SD-7 levers vs Ultimates. I am considering Ultimates, but I have some SD-7's lying around, so maybe I'll go with those.

@Shiggy: Why road calipers and levers? What is your bike setup?
    All of my bikes have dropbars. Dropbars require dropbar levers. And IME the BB7 Road with road STI levers have more power and control than any mtb setup.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I can see no functional difference between the G2/3 rotors and the Cleansweep X rotors, or any reason why they wouldn't work. I haven't had any rotor-related issues. One potential drawback of the alloy-hub Cleansweep X over an all-steel rotor could be difficulty straightening it if it were to bend, though this is just a guess.

The Love Levers are nice, though I'd be tempted to go with the SD7 levers for the reduced cost and additional adjustments. On the other hand, I prefer the levers on the Paul's brakes and they feel great with the BB7s.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

underachiever
    Wow, great thread. I was just poking around here as I was looking for some information on Formula R1s, which I currently have on my 953 650B SS. After several rides, I'm switching back to BB7s. I'm going to run the stock setup with Paul Components Compact Love Levers. I had a set on my Ted Wojcik a couple of years back and really like it:

Anyway, I got some great ideas for upgrades here, so looking forward to going back to the BB7s!

bi-winning
    I would just like to add that I really like the Avid FR5 levers. Really cheap, and really light.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Rub it............
    BB7 mountain calipers
    Avid brake pads (sintered)
    Alligator Wind Cutter rotors (180 front/rear)
    Jagwire Ripcord cables - full length housing
    Avid Speed Dial 7 levers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    excellent thread,I'm building a bike and ordered BB7's for it.would be nice to get more photos just to get an idea which way to go.this thread can be stickied if we get enough pictures.

bi-winning
    [IMG][/IMG]
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    BB7 mountain calipers
    Avid brake pads (sintered)
    Alligator Wind Cutter rotors (180 front/rear)
    Jagwire Ripcord cables - full length housing
    Avid Speed Dial 7 levers.
    Let's see... The only thing I have different is a 160 in back. What adapter did you use for your 180mm rotor?

I find the Windcutters to shudder a little, but I really like my brakes set up this way.

I also have the Ultimate levers, and I also prefer the SD7's for the exact reason steiny mentioned!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants
    Wow, great thread. I was just poking around here as I was looking for some information on Formula R1s, which I currently have on my 953 650B SS. After several rides, I'm switching back to BB7s...
    Can you tell me more about why you are switching? I've been thinking of getting Formula RX's, but my BB7's are working great (just not light). Should I not do it???

mtbr member
    I am running

Brake--09 BB7 custom ceramic coated with ceramic bearings (just cause) and full Ti bolts

Rotors--Alligator Windcutter 160/160mm TiNi coated (work much better once the coating wears off)

Levers--KCNC VB-1 (super light at 46g for the pair, and surprisingly not too flexy)

Housing--Full length Nokon with teflon cables (will be running pure stainless non coated soon)

so far they are working amazing and don't have any thoughts of replacing them any time soon, ridden hydros and prefer the mech, had a set on my DH bike and they worked great as well
    my DH set up was
    BB7's
    FR-5 lever
    Shimano 5mm SIS full length housing
    203/203 rotors
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scooter916; 09-07-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: add pictures
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

650b me
    Wow, thanks for the continuing posts and photos. Lots of components for me to investigate...

I've never seen brake calipers refinished like yours, Scooter916. Looks well done. How WAS that done?

I too am wondering why Misterdangerpants is switching back to BB7s from Formula R1s. Cuz actually, I bought a set of Formula R1s for a 29'er I'm building up, but I haven't installed them yet. Reason being, I'm not sold on hydros. I have a set of Magura Marta SLs on another bike and the front brake has been bled twice in 300 miles of riding. Then, just the other day, over the course of a 4-mile climb the front brake leaked and completely failed. My LBS is submitting a warranty claim on my behalf, but the bottom line is, I was stuck at the top of the mountain with no friggin' front brake! Mechanical brakes have never completely failed me the way hydros can. Who needs 'em?

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Can you tell me more about why you are switching? I've been thinking of getting Formula RX's, but my BB7's are working great (just not light). Should I not do it???
    I just like the BB7s better (i.e. mechanical better than hydraulic). It's purely personal. I've heard nothing but praise for the Formula R1s, so maybe my set is a fluke. They actually stop the bike very, very well. I might drop the bike off at my LBS (they're really good) and see if they can set them up (I gather they can). Anyway, whether or not you should take the plunge, well, you're on your own! If something is working great, it would be silly to replace it, I think.
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 09-08-2010 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants
    I just like the BB7s better (i.e. mechanical better then hydraulic). It's purely personal. I've heard nothing but praise for the Formula R1s, so maybe my set is a fluke. They actually stop the bike very, very well. I might drop the bike off at my LBS (they're really good) and see if they can set them up (I gather they can). Anyway, whether or not you should take the plunge, well, you're on your own! If something is working great, it would be silly to replace it, I think.
    Well the R1's cost a lot more than the RX's I was considering. I'm still not sure what I'll do. But for now I'm keeping my BB7's on my main SS.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Let's see... The only thing I have different is a 160 in back. What adapter did you use for your 180mm rotor?

I find the Windcutters to shudder a little, but I really like my brakes set up this way.

I also have the Ultimate levers, and I also prefer the SD7's for the exact reason steiny mentioned!

The Windcutters do shutter a little bit. I don't notice it with the BB7's but I do with the Juicy's on my 29er. Thinking about switching to the CS3's on the 29er. But other than that, stops great.

I'm using a 180mm post to IS mount from Shimano. On the rear, I was able to file down the Avid 185mm mount. But took too much off the front one. So I bought one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The new ultimate levers must be way different from the 10 year old cantilever ones I have in anodized red. I like my SD ultimate cantilever levers a lot, more than the SD7s and more than XTR of which i have tried both.Trouble is they necessitate road calipers. I am finding the road BB7s to have more bite and grab and more power but much less modulation than the mtb version. I think its because with the leverage in the lever rather than the caliper like the mtb version there is more housing compression. I really need to quite being lazy and go take some photos of my set up.

Wow scooter916 that bike should have been at the NAHBS would have been a contender for sure.

@251 cool to see that the X rotors work. Been looking at those. What frame is that, I have the same paragon breezer style drop outs on my dean duke.

Did I catch a niner?

Pads: Avid Sintered
    Levers: Avid Speed Dial 7
    Cables/housing: full-length Jagwire Ripcord
    Rotors: Alligator Windcutter 180/160
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjay
    @251 cool to see that the X rotors work. Been looking at those. What frame is that, I have the same paragon breezer style drop outs on my dean duke.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast