mtbr member

Uber brake power question

Hey guys,
    I have a set of Elixer's and have noticed that the initial bite has decreased. The pads are relatively new (3 mos) with no contamination and I have given them a light sanding to see if it helps. The rotors are 1 year old and have never been contaminated. The last brake bleed was a year ago. Any other ideas where the power has gone?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleymtnbiker1 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have a set of Elixer's and have noticed that the initial bite has decreased. The pads are relatively new (3 mos) with no contamination and I have given them a light sanding to see if it helps. The rotors are 1 year old and have never been contaminated. The last brake bleed was a year ago. Any other ideas where the power has gone?
    Try spraying the rotors (after removing them) with brake cleaner, and a clean rag. Re-bed the pads and rotors as you did when they were new. Could be the answer and a free fix, so you're not out any money trying it. They may squeal during the re-bed process, but that'll let up after a dozen stops.

LightJunction.com
    How long did this "initial bite" last? Typically disc brakes have less power at first, then once you've broken them in, the power ramps up. Also, how much power loss are we talking about? Does the lever engagement feel any different? If you only notice the stopping power, it's likely in the pad/rotor, but if you feel any difference at the lever, it could be a minor adjustment, seal or bleed issue.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lightjunction View Post
    How long did this "initial bite" last? Typically disc brakes have less power at first, then once you've broken them in, the power ramps up. Also, how much power loss are we talking about? Does the lever engagement feel any different? If you only notice the stopping power, it's likely in the pad/rotor, but if you feel any difference at the lever, it could be a minor adjustment, seal or bleed issue.
    I started noticing the difference about a month ago. The power loss is more noticeable in the front with me feeling the need to pull the lever harder. Engagement hasn't changed in feel. If it is the rotor/pad. Will replacing or sanding the rotor help?

LightJunction.com
    Maybe, that's where I'd start, anyway. I'd sand the rotor and the pads with fine grit sandpaper. You could also adjust the lever throw on the front brake to compensate for having to pull harder.

Just because I'm curious... did the power loss start after riding in the rain/mud or after a tuneup/bike cleaning? Have you noticed any oil anywhere on or near your caliper? I'm wondering if something could have gotten on your pads and caused this problem.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lightjunction View Post
    Maybe, that's where I'd start, anyway. I'd sand the rotor and the pads with fine grit sandpaper. You could also adjust the lever throw on the front brake to compensate for having to pull harder.

Just because I'm curious... did the power loss start after riding in the rain/mud or after a tuneup/bike cleaning? Have you noticed any oil anywhere on or near your caliper? I'm wondering if something could have gotten on your pads and caused this problem.
    I have noticed the difference only in the past few months. Positive there hasn't been any contamination. Conditions in Western NC can be muddy at times but nothing crazy. I sanded the pads and rotors and will see this weekend. If still problematic I will try a brake bleed. Those new Avid XO Trails looks appealing thought

LightJunction.com
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleymtnbiker1 View Post
    Those new Avid XO Trails looks appealing thought
    You're not kidding. I was drooling over those yesterday when one of the press releases went out.

Good luck with your brakes. Hopefully the sanding works...that's an odd problem to have if there's been no contamination.
    www.LightJunction.com

T.W.O.
    If you loose the bite or the lever travel has increase, bleeding should cure that problem. You did check for pad wear right?