mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Two Thumbs Up for SRAM (Avid) Customer Support

I just got off the phone with SRAM regarding a problem with my Juicy 7 brakes. Without going into details, I just want to say that SRAM is absolutely number one in customer support in my book. They have taken care of my problem and were extremely helpful during the process (even when my LBS wasn't).

If you are considering components, buy SRAM. They are a US company to boot.

p.s. Did I mention that my bike is entirely SRAM, and the X.0 components are bullet proof as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    That is the exact opposite experience I am having. I have a pair of juicy 7's that have not worked right from day 1. THREE MONTHS after SRAM received them, they finally get back to my dealer today and say they no longer have the parts needed to fix my juicy's and it will cost more to fix them than to just buy new ones. No offer by them of a discount or anything. These are brakes that have less than 100 miles on them.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    I just got off the phone with them an hour ago. I needed to get a crankbolt replaced on my Stylo and asked them where my nearest service center in Canada was. They basically told me to flip through the Yellow pages and call every bike store in Calgary to find an SRAM dealer. And yes... this was SRAM telling me this!

Meh.
    ANY bike shop should be able to get that crank bolt for you. There are no specific SRAM dealers or service centers. Everything is through distributors.

SRAM prefers to deal with shops rather than directly with the customers, and if your shop couldn't get you a warranty, then they're crap. And if they didn't even offer you a discount, then they're even more crap.

SRAM CS has always been top notch for me at all of the bikeshops I've been at.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    SRAM prefers to deal with shops rather than directly with the customers, and if your shop couldn't get you a warranty, then they're crap. And if they didn't even offer you a discount, then they're even more crap.
    Actually the shop that is handling it is one of the very highly regarded small shops on this forum. I have dealt with them for better than 3 years and am quite sure it is not a shop issue. SRAM hasn't offered crap, the shop has kindly offered to sell me another brand of brakes as a substantial discount from their already excellent prices.

If you can get them warranty repaired and can get SRAM to magically manufacture the parts they claim are NLA, I would be more than happy to send them to you and pay you for the trouble. There is one catch, if you can't, you refund me all my costs of sending them to you and getting them back. Are you confident enough in their service to take the risk?
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Meh.
    I am confident in SRAM, but why should I go out of my way to help somebody that isn't my customer and when I don't know anything about the situation? And there's little to nothing in it for me? Sure, I could just be nice and do it, but unfortunately, that's not how most of the world works. If you were a local, I wouldn't have a problem doing it. But being long distance adds additional complications.

What parts do you need? It is VERY possible that some parts are not currently in stock. Eventually they will be back in stock. All the o5/o6/o7 Juicies use pretty much the same parts. o4s used a number of different parts because they were not produced in house at the time. If you do have the o4 Juicies, you more than likely are SOL. I still have one of them. You can tell because the 2004 brakes had a black resi cap and 2 piece clamp. And if it is a 2004... well... I'd say you probably waited too long to speak up...

When one of my 2004 brakes went out, I had a problem sourcing parts. I need a piston and piston o-rings. SRAM just sent me a new 2005 J7 and told me to keep the old one for parts or whatever. When I came out of a drop weird and smacked my x.9 against a rock, the cage tweaked slightly so it wouldn't shift into the 11t. At that time the 2007 short cages were not available yet. The tech at SRAM went out of his way to track down an o7 for me. SRAM support at a race gave me a new Maxle for my Pike when I smashed mine up at a race.

You had not mentioned that the shop had offered you a discount on another brake. I will retract the comment about the shop being complete crap. But how the shop deals with SRAM, who they spoke to, and how many times they've discussed things greatly influences how your warranty would be handled. I know of supposedly terrific shops that handle warranties like crap. I used to work at one of them. I just started at a Performance. I think it's a crappy shop... but they have great prices and handle warranties very well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

And by the way......

I received my replacement parts from Avid in two days. Awesome.

mtbr member
    my x9 top cap fell off twice during races, and after my first replacement cap got lost, they sent me a whole new shifter and packaging to send the old one back so they can figure out what's wrong with the shifter. Very cool, very nice...