mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Two sets of rotors on one set of pads?

I'm wanting to run two different sets of wheels, one for the dirt and another for the road, but am wondering if my pads will be okay if I'm running two different sets of rotors on each wheelset? both are 160mm, but one are avid rotors and the other are tecktro rotors.

wondering if anyone else does something similiar or has any input?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Shouldn't be....

a problem. While rotors aren't all made of exactly the same materials, they are all pretty much stainless steel. Some rotors take longer to break in than others, but that's about it. You shouldn't have a problem at all as long as the braking surface on both sets of rotors lines up correctly with the brake pads you shouldn't have any problems.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

not really an mtbr member
    While it will technically work, you'll most likely have to re-break in the pads every time you switch.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrkimbrough
    I'm wanting to run two different sets of wheels, one for the dirt and another for the road, but am wondering if my pads will be okay if I'm running two different sets of rotors on each wheelset? both are 160mm, but one are avid rotors and the other are tecktro rotors.

wondering if anyone else does something similiar or has any input?

thanks
    Not an issue. Much better than using the same wheelset (rotors) with different pad compounds.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by theextremist04
    While it will technically work, you'll most likely have to re-break in the pads every time you switch.
    IME it is not an issue at all. I regularly swap 2-3 wheelsets, using two different Cleansweep rotor versions and Galfer rotors, on the same bike. Just need a slight pad adjustment (BB7) and all is good.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks guys!