Thread: Two M535's...

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007

Two M535's...

Got two sets of Shimano Deore M535 brakes, one on the Reign and one on the Yukon. The one's on the Reign are fairly new and have a nice and smooth and long lever stroke before pad contact, whereas the one's on the Yukon seem to bite almost straight away and offer no lever travel. Does anyone know what could be up with it?

Also the lever when pulled feels sluggish both towards the bar and away from the bar.

...idios...
    Could be any number of things. The immediate pad contact at first made me think that the calipers are misaligned, but the fact that the lever movement is restricted could point towards a seal issue. Another possibility is that the brake has been over-filled.

The first thing to do is to confirm that the calipers are aligned, also checking that the pads/pistons are, or can be, pushed back flush with the caliper. If they won't go right back, then the system is over-filled.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    I'll have a quick go at pushing the pistons back after a quick bite.

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    Reporting back I can say that they still don't quite have the quick, large swing, lever action of the Reign's brakes. But I have managed to sort out the immediate pad contact, and I'll keep using these brakes until they, well, break: or I decide to buy new.

...idios...
    What have you done?

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    Removed the reservoir covers while squeezing the pistons outwards, cleaned them, and then put them back. I let the overflowing oil come out like normal and that's about it really.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Some thoughts on your two brakes: the Reign brakes might have an air bubble in the system, causing the long lever travel due to the air being compressed before the fluid can do its job of moving the pads against the disc.
    The Yukon seals may have stiffened up from age/solvents and are not retracting completely, causing the quick initial contact.

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    There's definately no air in my Reign brakes, fully bled and prepped. I'll take a video to show what's happening.

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007

...idios...