mtbr member

two levers on one side for a one armed bandit

I am going to be helping a buddy do some bike modifications this spring. He recently lost his right arm from just above the elbow to cancer. We were brainstorming some ideas on putting two levers on the left side. Are there any other options for dual brake control? Shifting shouldn't be an issue, going to go with a 1x setup. In case it matters, no hardcore riding at this point. He mostly wants to get out and ride with his daughters.
    Thanks
    J

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There are dual-cable pull levers available, if just ridability is a concern. They will work well with mechanical discs.

Of course, you could always run a 3 speed hub/coaster brake and a lever actuated front brake. Arguably, this does present a few problems with trail riding, but on the road/path, it is sufficient. If your friend still wants to maintain control over individual brakes, this is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

mtbr member
    Thanks. Both of those are great ideas.

MTB B'dos
    There's a user on here who also has one hand, believe he has a prosthetic, he'd be a good person to hit up for ideas. You could also setup hydraulic brakes to work with one lever to actuate 2 calipers, but would need some research to find the fittings that would work, mechanical would be easiest with the above solution. You could maybe try a dual control Shimano shifter, but not sure how it's work run on the left side since they are designed side specific somewhat.
    Last edited by LyNx; 01-04-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    or there's this that will allow you to use and 1 lever to pull 2 brakes. Problem Solvers

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I helped a buddy with a similar setup on a dirtbike, but have no experience doing it on a MTB. Basic setup was this...

Single line coming from bar lever/master cylinder to a t-splitter, 1 line to rear and 1 line to front with an inline proportioning valve that would allow us to adjust how much braking power was allowed to go to the front. Without the proportioning valve the brake bias was too much towards the front.

There's no reason you couldn't do something similar for hydraulic brakes on a mtb. The splitter, proportioning valve and various adapters would add a pound or two of weight, but would wind up with a pretty neat set-up.

PM me if I can help out any more.

-RW

DIY all the way
    Brainstorming here....

Adjust the power ratio front/rear by using 140mm rotor for the rear, and a 180/205 for the front.

That could be working, if done with the Shimano Servo wave levers, as they can be set up to deliver a lot of fluid initially.

That would be cheap and simple.

Magura

Plays with tools
    If the budget allows you can run a Di2 system and the remotes will allow you to stack up both shifters on one side. This has been a huge benefit for para-athletes. But if 1x works, why not.

help with the zip please
    BXCc full credit to you and your mates for banding together to do what you can to help.

I notice above there is a link to problemsolvers. which will work for cable brakes but I don't think hydraulic.

I recently purchased some Hygia brakes and am very pleased with their performance. They $h1t all over avids, I know not hard but still. Anyway whilst perusing their site I saw this multi brake that they market for tricycles or quads. Basically one lever controls two calipers. Yes you can run front and back from the one lever and best of all they are hydraulic.

I'm sure you will have to swap out hoses etc and may even have to tweak the system some how to favour front over rear or rear over front depending on his preferences but I think the system looks promising.

Best of luck to you and thanks for living the MTB spirit.
    Last edited by emu26; 01-04-2013 at 07:35 PM.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    BXCc full credit to you and your mates for banding together to do what you can to help.

I notice above there is a link to problemsolvers. which will work for cable brakes but I don't think hydraulic.

I recently purchased some Hygia brakes and am very pleased with their performance. They $h1t all over avids, I know not hard but still. anyway whilst perusing their sight I saw this multi brake that they market for tricycles or quads. Basically one lever controls two calipers. Yes you can run front and back from the one lever and best of all they are hydraulic.

I'm sure you will have to swap out hoses etc and may even have to tweak the system some how to favour front over rear or rear over front depending on his preferences but I think the system looks promising.

Best of luck to you and thanks for living the MTB spirit.
    That's the ticket. Combine this with what I suggested above, and you've got it made.

Magura