Air Pirate

Twist shifter compatible v-brake levers

I just replaced a very high mileage set of Shimano XT shifter-pods with an SRAM Attack twist shifter. The brake levers I have feel too far away from my fingers when my hands are resting at my usual spot on the handlebars.

With trigger shifters the levers are mounted on the handlebar outside of the shifter clamp. With the twist shifter, the levers are mounted on the inside of the shifter. The shifter is a shorty style, but it still moves things inward a bit.

The current levers are the Performance Forte v-brake levers. These are two-finger levers that now are too far inward on the bar for me to get two fingers onto unless I have most of my hand on the shifter barrel.

My daughter has some DiaCompe levers on her twist shift setup that have a clamp that angles over the shifter, bringing the lever closer to the end of the handlebar. They are an older model meant for only cantilever brakes so I can't get those for a replacement.

Does anyone know of a lever-set that will place the lever back into the area I perfer them to be?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have used twist shifters with a wide variety of brake levers and IMO you just need to brake differently. Try using just your index finger. With the twisters the index usually lines up with the end of the lever where the maximum leverage is. If you find your index isn't enough get some better pads and clean your rims. I found when I had v-brakes my index was plenty for my 220lbs and my finger isn't exceptionally strong.

If these are your levers you should be good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Are you using shorter grips? Cutting them down will let you slide the shifters and brake levers farther out making everything easier to reach. I use gripshifters (have for 14 years) and usually ride with my first finger or two on the shifters and a grip just barely wider than my hand.

Best gripshift compatable brake levers are old SRAM brake levers-- the old faux carbon 9.0's were the best ever for use with gripshift. See a pic of them in this Ebay ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-9-0-SHIFTERS-BRAKE-LEVERS-AND-REAR-DERAILLEUR_W0QQitemZ150302181365QQcmdZViewItem?has h=item150302181365&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A13 18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The newer one's aren't bad, either but aren't as cool looking IMO. I don't think SRAM even makes such levers anymore--where's the love for loyal twist-shift fans?? I'd sure like it if my Juicy levers were a bit longer...

You can adjust the reach of your current levers in further to bring the ends of them closer to your hands so you can reach them, too--that might help...

Kid disguised as an adult
    I've been using Avid Speed Dial 7 levers with Attack twist shifters for a long time, first with V brakes and now BB7 mechanical disc brakes. I get great single finger braking and can use two fingers without a problem if needed.