Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Turning a rotor, re surface...

So, its done all the time for autos... why not bikes.

i have a stack of avids that are basically mirrors.

i was thinking a random orbital sander and some 120 grit sand paper. an old hub in a vise and go to town.... get that stopping surface back on there.

anybody have some thoughts? or ideas?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Simply put, it won't be the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Simply put, it won't be the same.
    yeah, i thought so. i was thinking about making a wind chime out of them. but i was just thinking.... they do it with auto's... and i know there is a lot more metal. and you can only go so thin on a car rotor...

maybe wind chimes it is....

Carbon or Commie?
    Don't forget to re-temper the material when you're done destroying the grain structure with your super-heating friction sanding party.

"Mirrors" have better stopping power than "scratchy" finishes. That's why rotors don't come in "brushed" finish or have a "cheesegrater" option. It may not make a lot of sense on the surface (pun fully intended), but it is how it works.

Read up about pad bedding on EBC's site for an explanation of why grooved (or scratched) rotors take longer to bed in and end up with less stopping force.

Actually 'turning' the rotor would be fine... but you would end up with much less heat-dissipative mass and reduce braking performance when you need it most (at the bottom of the hill).

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
    yeah, i thought so. i was thinking about making a wind chime out of them. but i was just thinking.... they do it with auto's... and i know there is a lot more metal. and you can only go so thin on a car rotor...

maybe wind chimes it is....
    Brake rotors on a bike are already very thin and it just gets hairy quickly. They wouldn't dissipate heat like they should and I'd guess that they would gobble and chirp.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So, its done all the time for autos... why not bikes.

i have a stack of avids that are basically mirrors.

i was thinking a random orbital sander and some 120 grit sand paper. an old hub in a vise and go to town.... get that stopping surface back on there.

anybody have some thoughts? or ideas?
    just get some 120 to 200 grit paper.....hold it between your fingers and pinch the rotor as you rotate the wheel around tens of times....

breaks up any glazing very well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by axisofoil View Post
    Don't forget to re-temper the material when you're done destroying the grain structure with your super-heating friction sanding party.

"Mirrors" have better stopping power than "scratchy" finishes. That's why rotors don't come in "brushed" finish or have a "cheesegrater" option. It may not make a lot of sense on the surface (pun fully intended), but it is how it works.

Read up about pad bedding on EBC's site for an explanation of why grooved (or scratched) rotors take longer to bed in and end up with less stopping force.

Actually 'turning' the rotor would be fine... but you would end up with much less heat-dissipative mass and reduce braking performance when you need it most (at the bottom of the hill).
    not really what i was talking about.

all i asked was.... could wasted rotors, mirrors etc... be saved... i have probably 30-40 rotors that are shinny and have no stopping at all. they were used every day for over a year. they are basically wrecked....

i just thought, instead of people trowing away all these rotors. is there any way to save any of them?

i didnt ask about setting up or anything like that.....

and mirrors? you can try and stop with ones that have a solid 5 days a week, years use.....

from the factory, avid is not a reflection...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    not really what i was talking about.

all i asked was.... could wasted rotors, mirrors etc... be saved... i have probably 30-40 rotors that are shinny and have no stopping at all. they were used every day for over a year. they are basically wrecked....

i just thought, instead of people trowing away all these rotors. is there any way to save any of them?

i didnt ask about setting up or anything like that.....

and mirrors? you can try and stop with ones that have a solid 5 days a week, years use.....

from the factory, avid is not a reflection...
    Geez I ride 6 days a week.....average 6500 km/y for seven years now...

I have a rotor that has been on the bike for over 30000 km.....still works fine.....and it has been cooked blue several times.

Shimano not Avid?????

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Make a cool mandala out of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Geez I ride 6 days a week.....average 6500 km/y for seven years now...

I have a rotor that has been on the bike for over 30000 km.....still works fine.....and it has been cooked blue several times.

Shimano not Avid?????

i have a few of shimano and avids. same thing. its not just to and fro each day, its constantly moving all day from morning to night. each day.

i feel bad chucking them. i have thought of what cool things i can make...

ear rings for the ladies maybe?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    A mobile or chime sounds like an idea. Maybe make a small clock if you have one with 6/12 spokes. FWIW, Sram is sponsoring a used parts into art fundraiser. Sounds like a good cause for your stack o' rotors

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    try it out. what do you have to lose?

Workin for the weekend!
    I hit mine with an abrasive pad, on the drill the other day. Rebed the setup an it's like new...

Scotchbrite medium worked great for me, just make sure your running the disc perpendicular to the rotor face, you don't want the scratches to be directional...

Just Ride
    not done with bikes as it's not cost efficient for one also they are already so thin. If you turned them their structural stability would no doubt be compromised.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

addicted to chunk
    ummm...maybe you should look into a different type of pad???....that many rotors...crazy....

How are you riding every day, all day, for basically a year?...just curious...
    Riding.....

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    pics of stack or it didn't happen

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i have a few of shimano and avids. same thing. its not just to and fro each day, its constantly moving all day from morning to night. each day.

I am confused on how the rotors are no good... I think the rotors should be good until they reach the minimum thickness stamped on the side. If you are suggesting that they are no longer porous because of the shine then maybe try giving them a light sanding. I have never had that issue but I think they should still be good.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    i "resurfaced" an avid rotor using metal etch-worked well and I am still using it after 2 seasons of pretty heavy riding. I'm not saying it's right-or wrong-but it worked for me. results may vary.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Okay

So you don't want to sand them fine....

When you are ready to chuck them pm me I will take them off your hands.

mtbr member
    im not the one doing the ridding.

they all start out as brand new Avid bb5's and brand new rotors. as well as some shimano avlio's.

ive been doing this for about 8 years, its the same thing.

trust me. new avid pads all the time, the rotors last about 1-2 years.

i have tried sanding, bla bla....

i didnt expect the Spanish Inquisition...

addicted to chunk
    im not the one doing the ridding.

i didnt expect the Spanish Inquisition...
    I think everyone is just curious/surprised because most might go through a rotor after 3 - 4 years....most guys don't have 30 - 40 rotors worn out sitting around

cool coasters??
    Riding.....

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Resurface 2 of them on one side...

...sandwich 2 thin rotors together with resurfaced sides facing out...

This coming from a guy who runs V-brakes and has worn rims out to the "see through" point, then re-welded them, and machined them, and kept riding them!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Resurface 2 of them on one side...

...sandwich 2 thin rotors together with resurfaced sides facing out...

This coming from a guy who runs V-brakes and has worn rims out to the "see through" point, then re-welded them, and machined them, and kept riding them!
    what? for reals?

no way! haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I think everyone is just curious/surprised because most might go through a rotor after 3 - 4 years....most guys don't have 30 - 40 rotors worn out sitting around

cool coasters??

yeah, its just from over the years. and billions of new bikes.

i have already chucked a tub of them in recycling. a few years ago.

maybe i can make ninja stars out of them....

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Naw, just mess'in about the rotors...

...the V rims? Well sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do no mater how ugly...LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast