mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Tuning up XTR disc brakes - pads etc. ??

Hi

First of all which pads generate less heat to calipers and give more power - resin or metal ??
    Maybe there are better third party pads for these brakes (Kool stop or EBC) ?
    Second thing is how to recognise newer calipers without this sticky piston problem that many people experience (serial number or sth) ?
    Others tips about this brakes are welcome

I've also heard that there was some upgrade to XTR 03 cranks - some O-rings added or something like that - how to recognise this upgraded model.

Do you know about any more upgrades made to XTR 03 ??

thanks in advance and sorry for language mistakes if any

rpbt

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpbt
    Hi

First of all which pads generate less heat to calipers and give more power - resin or metal ??
    Maybe there are better third party pads for these brakes (Kool stop or EBC) ?
    Second thing is how to recognise newer calipers without this sticky piston problem that many people experience (serial number or sth) ?
    Others tips about this brakes are welcome

I've also heard that there was some upgrade to XTR 03 cranks - some O-rings added or something like that - how to recognise this upgraded model.

Do you know about any more upgrades made to XTR 03 ??

thanks in advance and sorry for language mistakes if any

rpbt
    As per Shimano's website:
    "Brake pad options include, a maximum power, fade resistant, longer wear metallic compound or a best modulation, low noise, smooth feeling resin compound."

I used a set of XTRs for ~6 months and was very happy with using 1 resin and 1 metallic pad per caliper. Best of both worlds! You'll likely find that most here are doing something similar. Plus, it actually gives you an extra set of pads. I never tried aftermarket pads for the XTRs, so I can't comment. But, be careful when using non-Shimano pads since you may void your warranty.

I had the SPS (sticky piston syndrome) with my XTRs. After months of frustration at trying every conceivable fix, I had them warrantied by Shimano Canada. I sold them. Whether or not the SPS issue occurs with the newer calipers remains to be seen. Time will tell. It took about 4-6 weeks for the SPS to occur in my brakes....prior to that, the brakes were excellent! Even with the SPS, the brakes were pretty nice.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com