mtbr member
    Jun 2012

trying to decide between catridge style aluminum V-brake shoes or one piece

I'm trying to get new brake pads for my rock hopper 08 but I don't know if I should get the new cartridge style; which I heard is better because it comes with aluminum pad holders or If I should go with regular one piece pads.

The reason why I'm in a dilemma with this decision is because of this thread.

Anyone still use v-brake shoes?

The person who started the thread complained (not whined, haha) about how he was new to the cartridge system and how he was having issues with it that made him wanna go back to using one pieces.

I've come down to deciding between these pads.

--RavX Thermafoil one piece pads--

Amazon.com: RavX MTB V-Brake Thermafoil Red Pad: Sports & Outdoors

--Clarks cartridge XTR--

Amazon.com: Clarks Brake Shoes V Mtb 70mm-Xtr B/O R/B/G: Sports & Outdoors

--Clarks 3 function cartridge pad--

Amazon.com: BRAKE SHOES CLK V MTB 70mm-B/O BU/BK: Sports & Outdoors
    Last edited by uh yeah; 11-21-2012 at 06:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I always go with cartridge pads since I'm a lazy cheapskate, replacement cartridges cost less and after 1 or 2 pad changes I'm ahead in the game. The lazy part is because I use XT or XTR v-brakes which have the parallel push linkage, once I put the pad in I never have to adjust it, all I do is tighten up the cable as the pads wear down. Once the pads are toast I simply slide in a new cartridge, loosen off the cable, and everything is ready to go. I don't need to remove the pad holders or readjust the pads, it makes my life simple.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Maybe you ride your mtb a lot more than I do because even though I went a year without riding my bike, I've had it since the beginning of 2009 and it hasn't been till now that the brakes started squealing and now it's time for them to go.

I don't wanna go through the wasted time and possibly the cash by trying to return the pads by getting the cartridge system, cause I heard it sometimes doesn't have enough clearance for the tire and you gotta adjust it to the point where some of the pad isn't touching the rim when it's supposed to.

The main reason why I want the cartridge style pads is because of the aluminum holder. I don't know what material the regular holders are made of, possibly a combo between plastic and rubber.

I've heard the aluminum holders distribute the braking force more evenly; or so I've heard.

mtbr member
    I've never heard of Clarks that you linked to. Everyone seems to be happy with Koolstops and I'd go with these and be done with it.
    Amazon.com: Kool Stop Bicycle V-Type Holder with Brake Pads (Dual Compound): Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I can't say I ride all that much compared to many of the people I know and ride with, but I usually go through a set of pads in 1-2 years, depending on weather conditions. If it's drier the pads will go 2 years, maybe a bit more, but if it's wetter I can run though a set in under a year.

With regards to clearance, I've never had any problems with my half dozen or so sets of wheels & tires, and in my bike mechanic days when I had thousands of bikes pass through my hands there were maybe 1 or 2 cases that I can remember where the pin rubbed the tire. And in those cases I was able to fix it by rebending the pin to make it sit more flush with the holder.

KLF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uh yeah View Post
    I'm trying to get new brake pads for my rock hopper 08 but I don't know if I should get the new cartridge style; which I heard is better because it comes with aluminum pad holders or If I should go with regular one piece pads.

The reason why I'm in a dilemma with this decision is because of this thread.

Anyone still use v-brake shoes?

The person who started the thread complained (not whined, haha) about how he was new to the cartridge system and how he was having issues with it that made him wanna go back to using one pieces.

I've come down to deciding between these pads.

--RavX Thermafoil one piece pads--

Amazon.com: RavX MTB V-Brake Thermafoil Red Pad: Sports & Outdoors

--Clarks cartridge XTR--

Amazon.com: Clarks Brake Shoes V Mtb 70mm-Xtr B/O R/B/G: Sports & Outdoors

--Clarks 3 function cartridge pad--

Amazon.com: BRAKE SHOES CLK V MTB 70mm-B/O BU/BK: Sports & Outdoors
    My "go-to" pad for ALL rim brake applications (road and MTB) is the Koolstop salmon. A tire switch last spring also had me switching from cartridge holders to one piece KoolStop Thinlines on an MTB. No more issues of cotter pin rubbing or clearance issues when removing wheels. No braking difference whatsoever. It became apparent that as rarely as pads needed changing my belief that the cartridges offered easier/cheaper pad replacement was really a non-issue.
    So, IMO, slim one-piece pads are the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thx for the advice KLM.

I heard though that the salmon issue pads are a bit softer than the regular kevlar or whatever the regular material is for brake pads.

I heard that because of this, sometimes they give a squeaking noise and also I read that they don't give a firm brake feel on the lever like the regular ones do, which doesn't sound too inciting especially when you goin through those up and down zig-zag trails and your tryn to get out the corner fast haha chea.