Thread: TRP CX-9's

mtbr member

TRP CX-9's

I just had these brakes installed on my Cannondale Cyclocross and I love them! Great stopping power, quiet just way better than the original cantilever brakes, no comparison.

Today I took the front wheel off my bike for the first time and no matter how I reinstalled it, one of the brake pads rub on the rim.

Do I need to be exacting on how I angle the skewer in the dropouts before clamping it into position or should I look to re-adjust the brakes.

mtbr member

TRP CX-9's

One of a couple of things might have happened.
    One when the brakes were set up the wheel wasn't centered properly.

Two, you arnt centering the wheel right

Three, it just might have decided that it wants to be a bit of a pain and go out of alignment.

Four, all of the above .

Bill

mtbr member
    I have no answer, just a question - did you install a adjustable noodle with your CX9's? Were you able to take the wheels off while the tire was fully inflated?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I have no answer, just a question - did you install a adjustable noodle with your CX9's? Were you able to take the wheels off while the tire was fully inflated?
    Good point, yes, the tire was inflated and I first relealed the noodle. The noodle does appera to have a few different nothches so I looked at how the back one was set and followed that position, which happened to be the widest setting.

It had occured to me initialling what crossracer has mentioned, that when the brakes where installed the wheel was not exactly centered.

mtbr member

TRP CX-9's

Hey, I've not only seen it but I've done it myself before. Set a brake up and then realize that the wheel wasn't centered.

Happens all the time.

Bill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    Hey, I've not only seen it but I've done it myself before. Set a brake up and then realize that the wheel wasn't centered.

Happens all the time.

Bill
    When reinstalling a front wheel, I imagine the skewer should drop fully into the dropouts and you should not have to slightly angle one side to center between the brake pads?

mtbr member

TRP CX-9's

Yes, the wheel should self center, you should never have to angle it to center it in the brakes .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    Yes, the wheel should self center, you should never have to angle it to center it in the brakes .
    Okay, that makes sense so it must be that when the bike shop installed my new brakes, the front wheel was probably off just a hair.
    I love these brakes, way better than the canti's, at least for my type of riding.

Thanks for the info - Rick

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Most quick release systems will actually shift the wheel when you apply pressure to the lever. I always recommend leaning over the handle bars and adding weight to the wheel/fork when closing the lever to keep the wheel square in the dropouts.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Most quick release systems will actually shift the wheel when you apply pressure to the lever. I always recommend leaning over the handle bars and adding weight to the wheel/fork when closing the lever to keep the wheel square in the dropouts.
    I usually install the wheel with the bike upside down, perhaps your way is the better/correct method!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    I usually install the wheel with the bike upside down, perhaps your way is the better/correct method!
    yup, what most people do.. and it allows the wheel to shift... you can just lean on the tire with it upside down also, but better to weight the bars with your body than having them on the floor/ground if you care about scratching and/or damaging shifters/brakes.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    You are exactly correct, thanks!

mtbr member
    I attempted to adjust the brakes myself, first time ever with this type of brake and dropped handlebar.

I adjusted the spring side with the adjusting screw so the pad cleared the rim by 1 + mm then the confusion started with the brake pull side. I did not see a barrel adjuster or any other way to adjust the clearance other than loosening the lock bolt and slightly readjusting the cable at that point.

Is this the correct procedure? I looked for a youtube video for the CX-9's and was unable to find any info.