mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Troublesome Julie

like a teenage daughter - just won't do as she's told!!

i'm sure i'm not on my pat malone in having probs with magura julies. got 'em mounted on a 02 'dale jekyll. Rear is the problem - front is fine.

constant squeal/howl. brake power is still good. have tried bleeding, cleaning (with alcohol) aligning rotor, straightening discs, unsticking pistons. no success

still to try - changing pads.

anyone got any help/suggestions/advice/earmuffs?

annoys the hell out of my mates (and me)

cheers, from a slighly deafened jawry

There's no app for this.

Hmn...

couple of thoughts:

http://www.mtbr.com/techtalks/brakes...html#operation <-- in case you missed it but I think you've done most already and....

Have you faced the rear IS tabs with a tool like the Magura Gnannomat or the Hope Spot tool? Some LBS's have them. On my new Enduro (Shimano 525's) both ends howled like I suspect your rear does. Facing fixed the front; in the rear, I did all the stuff you did... to no avail. I stuck on a new Aztec rotor and it stopped, well, until it hit cold water, end then they both howl up again. I don't know if you have them is Oz, but they are only $21 Cdn , and our dollar is at par with the Oz buck.

But see if you can face the rear tabs and then tighten everything more than a sphincter holding back, well, you know. :P

Cheers, and good luck, Jim MCM #11

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    goodaye jim

thanks for the reply.

will try the sphincter method for tonights ride - see how it goes. Will get the old girl down to the LBS for the alignment if no luck.

how did you know i like koala's? - didn't think the aussie drawl came over the wire that clearly.

cheers, jawry

There's no app for this.

your discs rotate backward downunderthere...

j/k ...I checked your profile. What might help most for all bikes is that LBS's here in Vancouver have found almost zero frames and forks are properly at the flat 90 degrees for perfect caliper mounting. Howl is the 1st thing that can result. The brakes'll work fine, but we'll all go deaf in the interim.

Good luck, you should be able to make them quiet with some basic phartin' around. eh?

Gudie, er, noight, eh? Jim