mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Tried many fixes but Old Magura Louise still Rub

I have a 6 year old set of Magura Louise that always have one or more pads rubbing. Is this a known issue with older Maguraís?

Iíve tried many fixes over the last 6 months, but it always comes back. Should I buy new brakes?

The level of rubbing is minor, but I think it affects performance b/c the few times I've noticed a slight dragging feeling and stopped to check, at least one pad was rubbing. This on rides where:
    1) Before the ride there was no contact between rotor and pad when the wheel was spun and light was visible between the rotor and both pads.
    2) I checked earlier in the ride and there was no rubbing.
    The good news is when I detect the problem on the trail I can fix it in a minute by pushing the rotor toward the rubbing pad and squeezing the brake leveróthis always solves the problem for the moment.

Aside from the squeeze fix, the brakes were bled and cleaned at a shop a few of months ago and I cleaned them and sprayed silicone lub on the calipers since then. I use Magura pads and had the brake mounts faced when originally installed. I rarely remove my wheels, so itís not wheel alignment.

The Scotsman in me hates to buy new brakes when these have such a minor problem, but I've tried many fixes and this keeps bugging me.

As a final word, I got these brakes used, rode them for 3 years without an issue, but didn't clean them until recently.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i had the old louises, and they were dragging too. two things that come to mind: sticky piston and misaligned tab. you can change the seals and face the tabs.